I just had horehound for the first time, and I'm...

Thanks. Now I know I’m not missing anything.
mmm

There’s a difference between licorice and anise? Can you describe it at all? Because whatever it is, I can’t taste it, so I’m very curious. Plus it might explain why there are people who find these things edible.

Oh, so it’s that candy. It’s not bad, but the aftertaste is too much for me to take. I feel similarly about licorice candy.

ETA: In other words, I’ve never heard it called this, and I’ve only encountered it in mixed bags of old candy. I would have thought that horehound was some sort of wild animal meat–and that the animal somehow resembled a dog.

I find anise to be sweeter than licorice. I find horehound to be sweeter than licorice but not as sweet as anise.

In fact, true licorice’s astringency overpowers any sweetness it may have. In anise, the astringency is much less.

That’s the one.

There used to be a candy shop on the across the street from where I grew up. I only tried the horehound sticks because of the name (“You said WHORE! Ha ha ha.”)

Pretty good stuff, though.

Geez. I haven’t thought about that stuff in decades. Hm. I think I know where to find some. Gotta make a note…