I just saw 47 Ronin and it was, possibly, the worst movie ever

Thank you for this. I was a bit undecided on whether to go see this movie or not. I couldn’t tell from the trailer whether it was an enjoyably dumb action flick with fighting and dragons in, or if it was a damn good story ruined by pointless dragons and pirates, by the look of it.
I’m glad to know not to waste my 8 bucks on this on spend it on something better for me. Like 8 hostess snack cakes or something.

Which leg?

I need to find the link, but I’m mobile right now so it might take me a bit. I read an article about this movie, and suspect some of the worse failings are not the director’s fault. As I understood it, preview audiences early on generally liked the movie. But apparently the studio guys were very unhappy that Keanu intentionally only had a small part, less than five minutes of screen time total, not a main character at all. The studio fired the director and recut the whole thing, including major reshoots to make Keanu’s character the main role. I don’t see how that kind of meddling could end well, so there you go.

He looks white. Acts white. White people identify with him.

There are handsome young Asian actors in Hollywood. But we won’t get any of those, just someone who should have stuck to bill and teds excellent nonsense.

Plan 9 bad?
Manos, Hand of Fate bad?

I saw the trailer, and it looked like watching someone play a video game.

It doesn’t change the fact that he is of mixed Asian/American heritage playing a character in a movie who is identified as having mixed Asian/American heritage.

I have to give him credit for his superb performance in My Own Private Idaho, however.

He looks mixed. Acts mixed. Mixed people identify with him.

Just trying to see if I could make you post sound any dumber.

Hah!..hilarious. Well done.

One reviewer referred to the film as “At least the second-worst thing to happen to Japan in a hundred years.” Hard to top that.

Actually, in the movie (which I liked), the character’s father was British and mother was Japanese. The character was born and raised in Japan. He was contemptuously called a “half-breed” throughout the movie.

My best guess is that the flick is better than World War II, but worse than the tsunami and attendant nuclear plant meltdowns a few years back.

That seems about right to me.

I caught a flick the other night that made these look like Citizen Fucking Kane by comparison!

Wouldn’t even make good drinking game material.

The worst part? It was on TCM! :eek:

The Fox says nothing. It is a Terribly Rendered Fox that appears, Bowie-esquely, to tell you that something is wrong with this movie and the only way to fix it is sorcery. The story itself is not enough, we need majick. Flying Drapery Chick just ups the ante and Keanu is icing on the cake.

My problem is this, the actual story would make a better movie and all the elements needed are in the film. They added all the majick. Lemme splain…
Some details about the movie itself
Visuals are good, plausibly Japan of the period. The costumes are good, some are a little over the top.

The story is explained, through text, dialogue and action, clearly.

So you have all the great elements of a revenge flick, plus you get the Alamo and after $200 million dollars, I get this sh*t cake

Capt

If you see just one movie this year featuring a chick who turns into drapes, make it 47 Ronin! In theatres … now!

Okay, I’m curious: can you explain this “chick who turns into drapes” thing?

I could believe it, studios do make stupid decisions sometimes. But when I looked for more information, all the stories seem to be that the studio stepped in because the first-time director was overwhelmed and out of control, and the budget had grown from $175 to $225 million. Here is an article from last September about the studio pulling the director and doing editing. The production process was described as a “nightmare”.

I thought the reason that first time directors were sometimes used for big, expensive movies like these was because the studio thought they’d be easier to keep in line. It’s strange that the studio didn’t keep things more in line and keep the budget to a more manageable level.

Which was still unnecessarily shoehorned into the story, to provide a “Star Name” hook and a transnational identification, for multinational release.

The studio need not despair absolutely, though – it may cut some of their losses with box office and sales in other markets where lots of flashy visual action is still the main draw of movies and nobody will get hung up on how there was a real-world event behind the epic of the 47 ronin.

She is a very bad girl and a sorceress. She has the ability change into a drapery like thing and fly around, in a completely nonsensical manner. She is also the Terribly Rendered Fox.

She is just the tip of the big old iceberg of sucktitude that this movie is.

Capt