I just spent 40 years in prison. [What do states provide to prisoners after leaving prison?}

In New York, you get a bus ticket to any location in the state.

I used to tell people the unofficial motto of corrections is “We keep interesting things from happening.”

We provide prisoners with a suit for release. We also do that for a court appearance.

Moderator Note

Given the OP’s circumstances, this is an extremely jerkish thing to say. No warning issued, but let’s stick to the question asked.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Pssst, the OP joined in 06 and has made occasional posts since. I think this is a hypothetical though awkwardly written.
ETA: apologies to all if I’m wrong or have been wooshed.

I’m not sure if this is the same everywhere but (around here) probation is a suspended sentence with conditions similar to parole in lieu of jail time. If you serve any time that would preclude probation.

Yes, I believe **Colibri ** and yourself have missed the reference.
Wesley Clark’s post was alluding to Red (Morgan Freeman’s role) in Shawshank Redemption.

I got the reference, but the OP is a hypothetical regardless, verdad?

You could have siblings or cousins and maybe children. You might have friends who were in prison with you and are now out.

Agreed.

Gatopescado may have been referring to the bodies found on land that used to be part of the Imperial State Prison Farm, a sugar plantation that was also the basis for the song “Ain’t No More Cane on the Brazos.”

Mass graves in Sugar Land unearth horrifying chapter the history books forgot [Editorial]

Yeah, I admit that I didn’t look at the join date, and it wasn’t clear that the OP was a hypothetical. So I withdraw the note.

Even so, if you are going to make references of this kind in GQ, it’s best to indicate the source. I’ve seen Shawshank Redemption, but haven’t memorized every line, and most other posters haven’t either.

Here’s a good NY Times article on the subject.

Red, didn’t hang himself, Brooks did. When Red get’s out prison and is staying in the same halfway house, he finds that Brooks has scrawled on the beam that he hung himself on, “Brooks was here”.

“Get busy living, or get busy dying.”

Yes, you’re correct. I was trying to keep it simple. Red followed in Brooks footsteps after release but did not follow through with hanging himself.

Sorry, it was hypothetical. My bad on a poorly placed comma. Thanks to all that responded! You confirmed my suspicions that you are pretty much on your own.

Convicted drug felons can not get food stamps or most other forms of what passes for “welfare” these days, so you are incorrect at least on that point.

Cant get welfare, cant get a job with a record, and probably too old, probably no support from family etc. after 40 years.

What’s wrong with this picture?

Has it? Aren’t American prisons (at least, those at which someone would serve a 40-year sentence) operated by or at the behest of the state or federal governments?