I lost a friend tonight

The Master Speaks on Homeopathy. Revtim it correct; it ain’t treating with herbs.

That said, I wouldn’t dump a friend over something like this - I had on on-line friend who was a Jehovah’s Witness, and I’m an atheist. We seldom talk anymore, but it’s just because we sort of lost track of each other, not because of any sort of break.

I agree.

I forgot to mention in my other post, I also think this seems like a small thing to end a friendship over. Unless you are constantly arguing over these subjects and trying to convert each other, ignore these differences.

I do know the article, and far be it from me to blatantly disagree with The Master. But I do note that he’s writing this from an American perspective. And I’ll also note The Master has ammended his answers before, in light of new views in particular fields.

I wonder if he’ll come out of lurking now, and call me an asshole again. :slight_smile:

I’m going to have to agree with everyone who says that you’re badly overreacting.

That being said, thank you. I’ve recently been going through a similar dilemma - which I have yet to try to resolve one way or another. Some friends of mine are rather fundamentalist christians. Now, I have absolutely no problem with most of Christianity, but I’ve recently had my face rubbed in quite how severely my beliefs differ from that of their particular denomination. I have been debating with myself as to whether I could in all honesty remain friends with them. So far I hadn’t come to a conclusion, although I was leaning towards continuing our friendship.

It’s good to see it from the other side. We shall not stop being friends for this reason.

Being American has nothing to do with it. The evidence didn’t support it (at least at the time of the writing, and it probably still doesn’t), and the theories are unscientific. I fail to see what country he’s from having anything to do with it.

Well, it seems like the general consensus has been that I acted like an asshole, which is something I find it hard to disagree with, because I probably did. It’s just that the difficulty I had in reconciling the respect I have for my friend’s opinions with his belief in things that seem to be evidently false overwhelmed me, and made me overreact and act illogically. I’ve sent an e-mail apologizing to him, and I hope he’ll accept that apology, although, of course, that is his choice to make.

I’m sorry, you may have lost a friend, but he sure didn’t. Of all the petty reasons to end a friendship…

Ha! Hence my nifty cover-your-ass qualifier that followed: “And I’ll also note The Master has ammended his answers before, in light of new views in particular fields.”

What, you think I’m gonna disagree with Cecil without making sure I’ve got all escape routes free? :smiley:

Good for you! This post alone proves that you’re NOT an asshole.

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t accept your apology.