I love beef jerky

It’s been years since I had it, but I always loved the mahogany-smoked jerky from this place .

I always use brisket when I make my own jerky, which allows for long, uniform pieces. I slice it with the grain and marinate it using a modified recipe that came with the Little Chief smoker I got years ago. The recipe calls for soy sauce, red wine, salt, sugar, water, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and tabasco sauce. I use fresh onion and garlic and use a blender to make it smooth. I also throw in some juniper berries after blending the marinade. For smoking fuel I use mostly cherry wood with a little star anise.

Also, I built a smoker years ago out of an old refrigerator. The Little Chief just didn’t have the capacity to do large batches.

I, too, am having to lower my cholesterol; however, when I checked a package of beef jerky the other day, it had next to no fat or cholesterol. Jerky is made from lean cuts because it preserves better – fatty jerky is more likely to go rancid.

Buy some liquid smoke and add a few drops to the marinade. I think most grocery stores carry it near the worchestershire sauce and other such seasonings. I don’t know how they make that stuff, but it’s not an artificial flavoring, they really make it from woodsmoke somehow.

Personally, I like to cut my jerky with the grain, but that’s only because I like to tear apart my meat like a snarling, growling animal.

I remember looking at the label of the convenience store variety here (Jack Link, I think) and it was 97% fat free. Not sure about cholesterol, but jerky is normally made from lean cuts. If you make your own, you could get really lean meat to start with.

Might be worth looking into.

For good jerky, I make my own. For cheap and surprisingly OK jerky (better than Oberto, anyway) I buy - ready for this? Aldi’s beef jerky. Yep. $2.50something a bag and the best pre-packaged jerky I’ve ever tasted. Teriyaki…mmmmm…

I don’t know if they have them on the West coast, though. Around here it’s where poor people shop. They’re generally in fairly seedy areas of town, strictly bag-your-own with grumpy-assed cashiers and few shelves (everything’s piled in pallets) and no ambiance or advertising - but very, very cheap. I find myself needing to go to Trader Joe’s after my shopping at Aldi just to remind myself that there are nice people in the world.

We have a “Beef Jerky Factory Outlet” down here in Fort Myers. Maybe I’ll head out there and check out the stock…

If you’re ever driving through Dundee, Michigan (where Michigan’s biggest tourist attraction, the Cabella’s megastore is the only game in town), stop at the Beef Jerky Outlet. The home-made stuff is SOOO much better than any store brand I’ve ever tried.

They make everything fresh right there at the store, and they sell beef, salmon, tuna, bear, turkey, etc.

I make up excuses to drive down that way sometimes just to stock up.

Beef jerky outlet stores? You people are killing me! I’m jealous. Can you buy last season’s jerky at a discount, or perhaps jerky with typos on the bag or imperfect cuts of meat? :slight_smile:

I just realized I live near an Entenmann’s Bakery outlet store, so I really need to check that place out!

Excuse me, bear jerkey?!? Have you ever tried some? What’s it taste like? Wow.