I love this British shit and I move move to England!

There’s a traditional Essex sandwich which is barely known outside of the county. It’s triangular and is supposed to be the traditional lunch of farm workers. I give you the oddly named Essex Huffer!

I didn’t speak of any type of bread, actually. Don’t make things up.

We are discussing whether a lunch mainly of bread and cheese, and perhaps pickles or other condiments, was historically eaten by farmers and other workers. It was.

Obviously what is served today in pubs and restaurants is a fancier version of what a farm worker would actually have eaten (with fancier bread and fancier cheese, extra items, etc.), but in essence that kind of lunch is authentic.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a ploughman’s lunch on a menu, but when I did it was always thick slices of ordinary English style white bread, never ever a baguette. And it was too thick to eat as a sandwich.

I don’t know if it was ever eaten by real ploughmen, but it’s not that unlikely. Most things I’ve read had farmers and their workers coming back to the farmhouse for lunch.

Mmmmmm. Washed down with a farmhouse ale or three :beer:

I must say, “Gentleman’s Relish” does not sound like something I would like. Much like “spotted dick.” :grinning:

The ones I was served always had rustic brown bread, which is how I make them at home.

Right now, I’d give anything for a tall glass of cold West Country cider. Yum! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

On a cold wet day and smothered in custard (the spotted dick, not the Gentleman’s Relish, nor you, of course), it makes the perfect comfort food. And your main course could be faggots.

What is this, Finbarr Saunders and his Double Entendres?

Classic British food is not to be smirked at.

I have my own personal favourite and I take it very seriously. There’s nothing I look forward to more than having my thick sausage oiled up and smothered in sticky batter.

What our geordie friends would call a “turd in the hole”

It’s all Greek to me.

Or even “hurl” which works even better.

True, i missed that.

It’s loosely based on the Father Brown stories by Chesterton. In them, Father Brown appears in various places, according to wherever he’s been assigned clerical duties, and his solutions are mostly cerebral. Naturally this wouldn’t work for a modern series, so now he’s a priest who’s been at one parish for a long time, and there’s more action. He’s not really Father Brown any more.

In the 70s there was a short series of adaptations starring Kenneth More. They’re more faithful to the stories, but they’re disappointing for another reason: the production values then obviously weren’t nearly as good as today’s (unfortunately true for many series from those days). You can find them all on one of the video sharing sites.

I have read them all, and also watched all the series available, and I disagree- it is as close to Father Brown as one could expect.

255 replies in and I just realized I punted the thread title.

“I MAY move to England”

darn it all to heck

I thought you were just very excited.

I thought you were launching a formal debate.

But be aware that the programmes you love are not running round the clock on our standard Freeview off-air and on-demand channels. If you were to move here, you’d find a due quota of crap* as well.

*Define it how you will, of course.

Fnarr, fnarr.