I may be related to two Mayflower passengers

I’m related to Miles Standish.
Not really a pilgrim right? But helped them make safe passage? From what I have heard kind of jerky?

I usually tell people about my relation to the Hatfields before Standish since I know more about them than him.

Abraham Lincoln has no living descendents. The last living descendent was guy who died childless a few years back.

99% of people’s claims to relations to famous people are bogus.

(Here’s a link but the url tags don’t work, the apostrophe? So copy and paste it.)

http://www.nps.gov/libo/Lincoln’s%20Descendents2.htm

Standish was an English soldier hired by the Pilgrims as a military advisor. He organised the murder of two local Indians because they were “heathens”, the ones, according to the fake Thanksgiving story every American kid hears, portrays as friends of the Pilgrims forever.

UnuMondo

I am not related to any famous people, but I still find the concept of ancestry interesting.

When you think about it, no matter what source you believe (evolution vs. creation), we are all related.

Scary thought, hmm?

This also gives way to the small world theory, commonly known as Six Degrees of Separation. But while that is fascinating, it’s also a hijack, so I’m signing because I have nothing to say.

You know, I always forget these things. My 10th great grandfather was the last person to whom the Pilgrims owed money to since he invested money through the shady Mr. Sherley. Here’s the account I wrote up.

If any of you want to send me furs to sell, I’d be happy to share the profits.

Ummmm, wouldn’t your friend be ‘related’ too? How could a daughter or son be related to someone famous but not the mother? Just baffled.

Presumably the spouse of the friend is the one who provides the descent making the friend only related by marriage and not blood.