I pit drive-throughs

It’s kinda gross, so he ony gets bits of it at a time – two hamburger patties around two slices of cheese.

I’d love to see data on that. I’ll admit I’ve assumed car running = emissions being produced, so car-running-but-not-going-anywhere = wasteful emissions being produced, but if I’m wrong I’ll amend my rant yet further.

I better forget it, then. The little guy doesn’t like cheese. Weird, I know.

Also, the puppy patties don’t have salt and pepper.

Which penalizes people who walk in, whether because they live/work too close for driving to be at all sane or arrived by other methods, such as buses. I once waited over 15 minutes for a rather straightforward order at McDonald’s while the manager was screeching at her staff about drive-through being the only priority. She nearly wound up getting to refund my order by basically announcing to a lobby full of paying customers that they didn’t matter, based on how they arrived at the restaurant.

Also gave up on a Carl’s Jr near a former workplace for straight-up IGNORING counter customers.

You can ask them to leave the salt off, but if her dog doesn’t like cheese it sounds like the Puppy Patty is best for you. Max can’t have any of that anymore, however. He’s on a strict diet.

I don’t know that the data is easily found in one source, but you can find that total emissions in the U.S. are around 6500 million metric tons of CO2 annually as of 2019.

About 29% of that is transportation, or around 1900 million tons.

About 58% of that is light duty vehicles, or around 1100 million tons.

We see on this report that “all personal vehicle idling” in the United States accounts for 30 million tons. As a % of light duty vehicle emissions, idling is around 3%. ( Idling Reduction for Personal Vehicles (energy.gov)) Much idling is going to be from stop and go traffic, % wise lots of people never go to fast food restaurants period, and not all of them go through the drive thru. Given this, it seems highly likely to me idling at a drive thru is only a small percentage of the 30 million, probably less than 10%, probably less than 1% even, i.e. less than 300,000 tons per year. This would represent a very tiny fraction of all emissions.

I think it is fair to say it’s basically a non-issue.

On top of that, idling is less and less of a GHG issue because of changes in car design. EVs and most types of hybrids use like no gas and thus emit nothing at idle. Many regular gas cars are now being shipped with “idle stop” features, that automatically cycle off the gas engine if idled long enough, it is expected that this will be a feature found in the majority of all new cars sold soon (and may already be, in fact.)

[quote=“kaylasdad99, post:34, topic:945345”]

@kaylasdad99 did a pretty good job on the answer for my end of it. Then there is what happens next.

Sometimes the person says “Oh, I’m sorry, please pull around to that spot over there, we’ll fix the order and bring it to you.” And if that actually happens in a fairly timely manner well and good, but it doesn’t always shake out that way. I have in fact pulled aside and been completely forgotten.

But other times it becomes an argument: “That is what you ordered. Please move.” “No, this not what I ordered.” “Yes it is.” “No, it’s not.” You see how this goes. Meanwhile, the line behind me is becoming unhappy. The people making the orders and watching them pile up become unhappy.

Oddly enough, McDonald’s is one of the very, very, very few places I will go through a drive in. There are three or four menu items I can safely order without making modifications that so far I’ve never had screwed up. Being that limited is no fun, but I can order them even during busy times or going through a drive thru. They’re not the healthiest choices, either, but given how infrequently I’m eating them it doesn’t really matter. It’s because McDonald’s is so formulaic and consistent across all their outlets that I can do this.

In my county? There was more than half a year where there was NO inside ordering/pickup. Not entirely sure if that was a local health decision or something all the businesses decided on themselves, but there was a span of time it was either drive-thru/take-out or nothing.

All the fast food places around here still say “drive thru only”

Thanks for the research – I appreciate the data! Of course I never actually assumed drive-throughs were a leading cause of climate change; it has just seemed to me that any amount of running-your-engine-but-not-going-anywhere is a needless contribution to our excess of greenhouse gases. This data suggests my wrath may be somewhat disproportionate.

Also true. Dammit.

My drive thru complaint is the local McDonalds put up the sign “no ice cream” at the menu board, which means there’s now 15 cars behind you, no way out except to continue on, and the thing you wanted isn’t even available.

Try putting the sign BEFORE the line.

Except for people around the idling cars. They aren’t on a street largely absent of pedestrians and fellow businesses. They are spewing out fumes in proximity to people walking past or to and from numerous businesses as well as people who are actually eating. I’m glad my town doesn’t allow drive-thrus.

Exactly, which means that the OP’s rant was not on point.

And I’d never live anyone that didn’t allow them. Everywhere I’ve lived that has them the drive thrus aren’t that close to pedestrians or homes.

Unlike streets in any city, that have businesses and pedestrians by them?

Fifty replies and nobody has mentioned Leo Getz’s rant from Lethal Weapon 2?

It’s pretty rare to me I’ve seen drive thru restaurants with much of a big super close “walk in” neighborhood. Like certainly many drive thrus I’ve been to, there are people who might be within walking distance, but not so close that walking would be the “only sane” way of getting there. In real cities downtown where density is really high, fast food places seem to more commonly be walk in only. In general since revenue per sq. ft. of fast food is much lower than a bar or sit down restaurant, I think they’re less common in expensive down towns. Most cities I have lived in or visited, fast food restaurants are concentrated in strip mall areas, interstate exit plazas, or other similar areas.

As for the manager only caring about drive thru, I’ve heard that management gets assessed based on the speed they move customers through the drive thru with some of these restaurants, it wouldn’t totally shock me if maybe that one the company was only looking at drive thru wait times, hence management would be specifically incentivized to only care about drive thru customers.

I don’t know about McDonalds but at the fast food place that my daughter works at, this is the only service time metric that is reported every shift (and posted in the breakroom)

Except, in my experience, walk-in is usually at least as fast if not much faster than the drive-through. YMMV.

I always seem to get stuck behind these people:

Not to mention that many of them have extremely annoying alarms that go off if the time gets over a certain amount.

Your experience does vary, which is why I said that your rant was not on point. Your claim that they take longer is most often not the case.

Now, fast food in general is having lots of problems these days. It’s hard to staff stores, especially with reasonable quality employees. The pay sucks, the managers are often assholes, and the customers are usually worse. I doubt that many are operating very efficiently.