I Pit My Uptight Neighbors

There may be enough of a pullout to park a car, that doesn’t make the shoulder safe for pedestrians. Hell, it doesn’t even make a shoulder exist. Ever driven on mountain roads in Colorado?

There are about two dozen eagles here, wintering over, in trees by the lake, behind the mall. Because of fences and ravines, people can see the eagles but not get near them. The birds are a bigger draw for visitors than the new Forever 21.

No, “they” … Money hungry developers. I don’t understand why you didn’t get that, that’s what I was thinking about while I was typing. :stuck_out_tongue:

No, but I have driven on roads in Florida and some of them have really big shoulders and absolutely no mountains.

That warms the cockles of my heart ever so. Where are you? Is it a migratory path or longer term?

Eagles are making an awesome come back everywhere, and the same thing happened in my township. Rural road next to swamp with big pine tree housing eagles nest and the next thing you know there is traffic jam at the crossroads with people parking on both sides of the road and hanging out in the middle of the street all a buzz about the eagles. Then the road commission puts up no parking signs to save the spectators from becoming eventual roadkill.

Personally I would get tired of the daily spectators and suggest they go home and look at an eagle cam on USTREAM and work to preserve wildlife habitats so the eagles will keep coming back…

Yes, right next to the Hotel California that they built!

Some years ago a pair of Red Shouldered Hawks nested at a picnic grounds in Everglades National Park. The birds became used to the close presence of people, and began swooping down to steal goodies from the picnic tables, sometimes literally out of the picnicker’s hands. They seemed especially attracted to KFC drumsticks. Entertaining enough when a relatively small raptor stoops down, hits you in the face with its wings, and grabs your lunch off your plate; I’d hate to imagine it being an eagle.

And of course they “taught” their fledging babies about the same food source. At one point there were several successive year classes of Redshoulders competitively “working” the picnic grounds, which stretched over a couple of acres.

Sadly, Hurricane Andrew severely damaged the picnic area and closed it to the public for a couple of years. Whatever birds survived needed to learn a new way of life.

I am in Central NY. There is a huge wildlife refuge not far away where eagles presumably live all the time. The lake has a warm spot and these eagles by the mall are thought to come from as far away as Canada, attracted by the open water near the warm spot, as a food source.