I Pit the Zune

No, I have less information…I’ve never heard of the iPod Classic, and was unaware of the device. The biggest capacity iPod I knew of was the 32 GB Touch…but it’s been a while since I was in the market for such a device (I bought the Touch over a year ago…that’s the last time I looked at these things).

As for how the Zune stores…it seems pretty comparable to the how the iPod stores audiobooks. I like the way audible puts the books on the device, but at a guess they would put them on in a similar manner on an iPod as well. I just don’t feel like re-downloading my entire library. And of course I don’t have an iPod Classic so it’s fairly moot since I don’t have the space.

-XT

I don’t think you made a bad choice, you seem to like your Zune and have only had minor connector issues with it. It certainly isn’t worth it to buy another iPod now that you have the Zune. I was just curious. Now that the mystery’s been solved, I can now proceed with further research into purchasing a new mp3 player.

I looked up the iPod Classic…that would probably be the device for you. Seems to have everything I was looking for in the Zune when I got it (storage and battery capacity)…and it seems about the same price (around $240). If I had it to do over again (and if it was out at the time) I would have probably gone this way instead of the Zune, despite the fact that I’m not a big fan of the the wheel interface (that’s why I don’t have a Nano).

-XT

If the battery life on your touch is only in the 1 hour range, you might want to have it checked at the Apple store. It should be able to get at least 4hr on it (it’s fairly, new, iirc?)

I got a touch a few months ago and I was having lousy battery life issues at first. After looking into it, I found that I wasn’t letting it charge long enough. It seems that the iTouch charges to about 80% capacity super fast and then rest of the capacity charges more slowly. It might look like the green bar is full, but the charging isn’t complete until the little icon in the corner changes from a lightning bolt to a plug.

Now it takes my ipod about 90 minutes to charge fully but I get about 4 hours of heavy play time. From what I’ve read, if the battery holds less than that, it’s worth getting apple service to look into it.

As for the Zune, you can buy charger cables on Amazon for about a buck or two. It might be worth getting a second one for back up. It might be worth looking into car chargers too for your mobile army. Running out of juice when you’re on the road is so aggravating.

I got a first gen Zune and have used it daily with no real problems. The software is constantly improving and I think it is currently superior to the awkward iTunes (at least on a PC, I have no mac experience).

I also prefer the clicky buttons of the Zune. The slider on iPods is cool, but the functionality felt sloppy to me.

There is room for both iPods and Zunes. Ignore the naysayers, both are quality products that have different strengths.

The iPod Classic is… the classic, hard-drive based iPod. The device that started it all. The other iPods are sublines. The 160 gb version has been out since 2007. Before that, the largest was about 80 gigs till 2005ish.

Could’ve fooled me…

…but fine, if you say so.

Am I being wooshed? I’ve had a 16gb Touch for about six months and it still gets at least 20 hours of audio playback and about 10 hours of App use. The only things that drain mine in 4 hours would be video playback and heavy apps such as SimCity.