I pit those who don't know when the fuck to turn on their headlights

My Toyota Tundra has low beam headlights on at all times, for which I get a bit of an insurance break. They dont illuminate very well tho, but during beach pre dawn patrols, (surfing)they are a little easier on others eyes in the parking lot. (I used to cruise in with all the lights off, in my old VW to spare others eyes):slight_smile:

I hate folks who flash their lights at me when i DONT have my brights on though.:rolleyes:…driving darker roads at night, that have little or no traffic, a persons) eyes sometimes cant tolerate as well an approaching car, and I’m often tempted to flash my lights…

According to who? You? Who gives a fuck what you think? You go searching for random bullshit and comment on a thread from last year just to play some moral superiority card? Shove it up your ass.

The problem with the low beam daytime running lights is there are usually no tail lights involved. I had a miserable drive last weekend where fully half of the cars on the highway had no tail lights in blowing snow conditions.

I actually don’t see why daytime running lights don’t include tail lights. Honestly in most city driving the streetlights are doing all the illumination, the only purpose for headlights and taillights is the same as reflectors on a bike - it’s not so you can see, it’s so others can see you. I’d be interested in hearing any reasons why daytime lights shouldn’t also have tail lights if anyone has any?

For that matter, I wish American cars came with a rear fog lamp, like German cars do (at least in Germany they do). It’s just a red light mounted in the brake light housing that, when turned on, glows much brighter than a standard tail light. Makes the back of a car far easier to see in fog or driving rain.

I drive a small silver car - I turn my lights on every time I turn the car on. In high traffic situations, I also turn my brights on, because I’m tired of every large vehicle in the city pretending they can’t see me. I used to not do this because it would not be right to have my brights on, but since other cars now buy extra-bright lights, it just levels the playing field a tiny bit.

Sorry, but that’s being an asshole. The fact that others are bigger- or even bigger assholes- does not excuse assholish behavior.

I once almost sideswiped an unlit silver gray Porsche on the Pulaski Skyway on an overcast day. Driving on the Pulaski Skyway is terrifying enough under normal circumstances…getting shivers just thinking about it. I’ve never heard the term “ghost car” before, but it describes that Porsche perfectly.

Anybody know WHY the U.S. doesn’t have “lights on during the day” laws? Is there any down-side to it?

(my headlights are on all the time when I’m driving. They go off automatically when I turn off the car.)

Only downside I can think of is an older car that does not have the automatic lights-off paired with a driver who tends to forget to turn off the lights during the day (raises hand). This tends to lead to drained batteries and calls to roadside assist for jumpstarts.

And no, not everyone can afford to discard a car that might well run perfectly well and be paid off to buy a newer car to get that feature.

When I learned to drive and got my first vehicle my neighbour saw me leaving for work one morning. She came over and said “Please Juicy. Please. For me. Turn your headlights on during the day. It makes it easier for people to see you with your back lights on, especially on bright sunny days like this.” I ALWAYS put my headlights on and don’t rely on just the running lights.

Yes- in the US, most cars headlight don’t go off automatically when you turn the ignition off. Thus, dudes would be constantly forgetting and killing their battery. This cant be done by laws for drivers, it has to be fixed at the manufacturer level.

Same with mine, I drive a Volvo.

My car goes “dingdingdingding” until I turn the headlights off.

The mornings and nights when you’re driving right into the sun are a problem, too - it’s much easier to see a car against the glare if they have their taillights on.

I drained my battery several times in my old car. (The “ding ding” noise to tell me the lights were still on when I opened the door wasn’t loud enough that I always heard it, especially when I was in a hurry getting out of the car.) The lights on my new car go out automatically when I turn the engine off; I turned the lights on months ago, and never tough the switch.