I pit Xbox Live

Didn’t realize the power switches cost extra, eh?

Yeah, we get it. You’re the power switch-designing, revenue-squeezing process-specializing, understands-this-shit-better-than-999-out-of-1000 doofus who started a pit thread to let us all know about how little this bothered you.

Well then why are you disappointed?

You’re upset because something doesn’t do the thing you didn’t buy it to do anyway.

No, no, no. Internet Tough Guy means that you tell everyone how you could KICK HIS ASS, not how you’re better at computers than him.

I’m actually in commercial real estate, electronics are not even close to my expertise. So that makes it even more embarrassing for you I would think that a guy who never even played at making transistor radios or what have you as a kid knows more about a simple consumer electronics device than the big mighty Wizard of Asshole Park who builds Edison-esque super inventions.

I guess in your world:

a) having a pulse
b) reading wired.com and occasionally sites like gizmodo

make me a “master in the field of Xbox 360 marketing and functions.” I guess you think people who know how to put gas in their car are amateur mechanics?

Fine, fine. So if you’re not that idiot, which idiot ***are ***you?

Microsoft does deserve some shit for charging $5/player/month for an ad-riddled matchmaking service, so, I will sandwich the following praise in between complaints.

1. Xbox LIVE is garbage compared to the features I have seen from the other paid console plans. E.g., Sony’s Playstation Plus actually gives you free games for subscribing.
  2. Microsoft customer support is actually pretty damn good. Their question/answer forums are some of the most useful corporate-operated ones that I know of, and any monkey can figure out how to call any department. Try calling other tech giants like Google or Facebook. Last time I called them a person speaking fluent English actually resolved my issue (sort of my own fault - I had discs for 32 bit Windows and needed 64 bit) for free.
  3. They axed the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, which makes Xbox and their other games look boring by comparison. Whichever manager made that decision can rot under my withering disdain.

On this one, I beleive you can blame the consumer. Flight sims just aren’t selling and haven’t in years. Not sure why - I think they can be pretty fun. But every game in that genre died a long time ago. I hear occasionally about an indie trying it, but nothing much ever comes out.

That’s because Playstation Plus is a game subscription service, not an online multiplayer subscription service.

been xbox live member since it first came up (mostly so I could play Halo2!) never had much issue with it, but thats because I am the gamer type and all this extra video stuff is just bonus for me. I know it sucks to pay but the service is great and unlike the hacking that has occured on the free platforms (looking at you PS3…) its secure as well.

I will say it’s nice and simple to be able to load Xbox points/money on my xbox account and just use that to buy videos etc… keeps it centralized.

My cheapo dell from Best Buy seamlessly sends to the TV when I plug it in via hdmi and if I choose Extended Desktop from the Graphics menu I can still use the actual laptop for web browsing and the TV for youtube, netflix, and hulu. It’s slightly messy with the cord but cheap. The much more expensive option is to plug a tower into your TV and use it as a gigantic monitor.

But can you find the power switches?

Would you like to split hairs any more? I said “paid console plans,” not either of those.

I fail to see how the fact that someone has the right to do something and has been telling you that they did it for years somehow makes it right.

I’ve seen all of you talk about how different things are a ripoff. This guy is pointing out that Microsoft is ripping you off by making you buy online gaming in order to watch a service you’ve already paid for on a device you’ve already paid for. It’s a rather Apple-like thing for them to have done.

And, sure, I knew about the deficiencies of Xbox Live, but I follow gaming sites. It’s not something Microsoft puts on their box or website nor is it something people actually talk about, since it’s one of those things “everyone knows.” And if you’ve watched any of the gaming expos, you’d know that Microsoft absolutely does not sell the Xbox 360 as only a gaming machine. They’ve been pushing it as a media center for years. Rumors are that, next year, they will be releasing both a console and a separate entertainment center that can only play casual games.

I can easily see someone who hasn’t been an avid follower of videogaming not knowing that the streaming requires an paid account.

It’s not like nongamers have a monopoly on buying things stupidly. There are plenty of idiots who don’t play Xbox exclusive games online, and yet pay for Xbox Live Gold rather than getting online connectivity for free on another console or PC.

Somehow, I remain unsympathetic to the complaints of someone who didn’t bother to do the research.

I used those two phrases because they’re meaningful. “Paid console plans” is not, especially when attempting to compare PS+ to XBL - because they’re two entirely different services that have nothing meaningful in common.