I predict that Donald Trump is going to win the election for POTUS this year.

I can see Trump getting the nomination. The GOP failed to take him seriously enough to develop a coherent strategy to deal with him, and having too many candidates shooting each other allowed Trump to get into this position.

The GOP has broken up into three groups: the traditional conservative purists, the once-dominant, now weakened, mainstream group and the angry populists which Trump has rallied.

However, while the angry populists are a large minority in the GOP, they become a smaller minority in the general election voters.

We can assume that most of the GOP voters and some of the independent voters will vote for anyone but Clinton, if they bother to vote. Most of the Democrats will come around to Clinton in the general election. One key question will be of the turnout.

However, if you look at a map of the states, it becomes a numbers game. From here, their analysis has 11 swing states, representing 130 electoral votes and the Democrats have 217 to the GOP’s 191. That article is based on analysis from here, which put only four states Colorado, Florida, Ohio, and Virginia with 69 votes as complete tossups, while others are leaning one way or another. They have 263 either safe, leaning or tilting Democrat and 206 for the GOP.

The minority vote is becoming an increasingly larger share, as can be seen in this article. Florida, for example as whites as only 64.5% of the eligible voters. Overall, 69% of the voters will be white, (Pew Research), 12% black, 12% Hispanic, and 4% Asian.

USA Today, has an article which says

This will be increasingly troublesome in swing states.

The Pew Research article notes that

Trump could very well help motive that groups to come out stronger.

The other factor is Trump’s dismal favorable rating among general election voters which consistantly has a much more negative rating than Clinton’s.

Not just run, but run almost unopposed. I thought O’Malley was a good Democratic candidate and I’m surprised he never got any traction. The establishment was 100% pushing Hillary. Bernie’s doing his darndest to throw a wrench in the plans, but I think he’ll come up well short.

In the general, Hillary vs. a Republican politician probably looked really good on paper several months ago.

I agree with this. He’s the joke that keeps on giving until he lets loose and offends everyone. Even some FOX news people are conceding that Hillary is a good candidate, which would normally have been when hell freezes over. Well it has.

When the rest of the country wakes up and finds he’s nothing more than the Wizard of Oz selling Trump Crap, and that it’s good for you, that’s when your vote will count.

Until that time hold on to your hat because that’s all that campaign has.

I think that there is a good chance for what you said about the general election to take place. However, what makes me believe that it will be close race, but in the end not successful for Trump, is that I don’t think that his appeal among Republicans will crash. The media also will make efforts to make it a horse race, as the media still has to squeeze the Trump cash cow.

However, there is still a lot of “Political Bullshit” coming where everyone (Both Democrats and moderate Republicans) will know that the moderates and smart Republicans that will support Trump will be full of it.

That and seeing that a significant number of republicans will still say “no way” to a Trump presidency is what makes me to be cautiously optimistic about the general Election.

How exactly is his campaign snowballing in ways that would affect November’s outcome?

In terms of vote share among Republicans, he didn’t do any better on Super Tuesday than in the first four primaries - about 34% both times.

Meanwhile, his favorable/unfavorable ratings among voters across the board are several points worse than Hillary’s, and have changed little since last summer.

There’s no snowball here. Global warming melted it. :wink:

Also, Trump v. Hillary won’t turn into a dick-swinging contest, for obvious reasons. That worked on his GOP rivals, but just like Hillary did to her inquisitors at the Benghazi hearings, Hillary will give Trump enough rope for him to make himself look stupid, then calmly dissect him.

My prediction:

Donald Trump will never be POTUS.

I’ll be back to gloat later…
:smiley:

His popularity demographic of white males is also limited. In his own words “I love the uneducated.” His white male base is the uneducated white male. That leaves a whole lot of white males who are educated. And what I’ve been hearing from them is “hell no!”.

Me too. I know I’m in a liberal bubble, but the only people I actually meet who like Trump are taxi drivers and other malcontents. I doubt they’ll actually vote in large numbers. See thisvideo Jimmy Kimmel did about CA voters on Super Tuesday.

Well I have great news then. Trump can’t even hold together the shrinking GOP voter base, which had very little chance to win to begin with. You have sitting GOP senators and conservative strongholds like Redstate united together in opposing their own parties candidate and you think the guy has a chance in hell of winning? where is this delusion coming from?

Using 538’s handy-dandy Swing-O-Matic, I played with some numbers-- underestimating some, overestimating others. Even IF:

…you keep the white college educated voters voting the exact same as they did in 2012 (unlikely with Trump, especially with women, but I’m assuming the worst)…

…non-college educated white voters vote 4% more Republican and increase their turnout by 9%…

…black voters vote 3% less for the Democrat, and decrease their turnout by 6%…

…Latino voters (assuming Trump does nothing to quell their hatred) increase their turnout by only 2% and vote 2% more for the Democrat…

…and Asian votes stay exactly the same…

Hillary still wins the presidency. (Electoral vote: 272-266. Popular vote goes to Trump: 48.8-49.4)

Also, the other Republican candidates had limited ways that they could go after him at the debates, since Trump’s views aren’t more extreme than the others, he’s just less polite about saying Republican beliefs. And in some cases, he’s actually less extreme than the other candidates. They can’t call him out for being crazy, since they’d be calling themselves crazy too. And it took a really long time for any of them to start attacking him, they mainly all fought with each other instead of going after him.

But Clinton can come from the start going after what Trump and the whole Republican party says. She won’t need to resort to making fun of his spray tan or small hands.

I can still do that, though, right?

Good article (IMO) at Rolling Stone that was written before Super Tuesday. It’s a VERY long piece but here are a bunch of highlights:[

](How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable – Rolling Stone)The Trumpdozer is coming, America. Can we get out of the way? :dubious:

I went to that site and I adjusted only the non-college educated white voters from 62% voting Republican to 69.5% voting Republican and Trump wins.

That site makes A LOT of assumptions, tho and I’m not sure it has much value other than being a nifty thing to play with right now.

I don’t think Trump has a realistic chance to win the general election (short of a Hillary indictment, or some other earth-shattering event of that magnitude). Of course, I didn’t initially think he had a chance to be where he is at this point either, so there’s that.

ISTM in retrospect that Trump is uniquely situated to do well in Republican primaries. This is because most of the things that should kill his candidacy depend on heavy media hype to work, and a lot of conservatives tend to be very skeptical of media hype. This would not apply to moderate swing voters who determine general elections.

It should also be noted that it’s not like Trump is winning these primaries - even among Republicans alone - by majorities; he’s getting pluralities. In the GE you need majorities, and this is where his negatives will kill him.

On a side note, I’ve seen rumors of a scheme by Republicans to subvert the results if Trump wins the nomination. The idea is to have a mainsteam Republican - possibly Romney - run a third party campaign limited to a few key winnable states, just enough to deprive Hillary of a majority of electoral votes. Then the election goes to the House, and the Republicans put in a mainstream candidate of their liking (possibly Romney but possibly also Ryan).

‘Then the election goes to the House…’

Er, um…what?

(Please to explain for non Americans!)

Well, I’ll believe a data-driven site making assumptions over a person making anecdote-driven assumptions and assumptions based on their gut feelings any day of the week.

You say patronizingly say “Prove. Me. Wrong.” Well, aside from waking up on November 9 and showing you the newspaper that says “Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump,” I’m not sure what the hell you’re looking for. Not data apparently. Not poll numbers.

I’m not sure what that’s supposed to mean, but like I said: people like to back a winner:[

](https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/02/gop-strategist-castellanos-time-to-rally-around-trump-too-late-to-ask-mommy-to-step-in-and-rewrite-rules/)For those who have never heard of Mr. Castellanos, [here is a brief bio:

](Alex Castellanos - Wikipedia)

If no candidate receives a majority of electoral votes, the election is handed over to the House of Representatives, which is currently run by Republicans. Cue dramatic music.

But so far there hasn’t seemed to be much of that. It seems like many Republican politicians are just resigned to it, or they’re planning on how to campaign for lower tickets while distancing themselves from Trump. I haven’t that a lot of Republican voters are jumping on the Trump bandwagon either. The highest profile person who has turned from being against Trump to supporting him is Chris Christie, and he does not seem enthusiastic about it.

But are there any other candidates who could run a third party campaign and draw enough votes? I’ve read that someone could run a third party campaign more as a way to get voters out to vote for the lower ticket races. Like if a voter could just choose between Trump and Clinton, they might just not bother going to vote, but if they could also choose to vote for Candidate X, they’ll feel better about that and go out and vote, and also vote for the senators and representatives and judges and whoever else down ticket. That seems like a plausible strategy to me. Running a third party candidate to get things to go to the House seems much less likely.