I really hate the Amish

In China, dogs are used for food - the conditions are horrific. They seem to love to really do it to golden retrievers. I am a carnivor - but I do not think any animal should be subjected to needless cruetly - or any cruelty thats avoidable. Its a huge moral dilema for me.

Do a little googling and you will see what I am talking about. I want to make it clear that my comment is about culture, not race.

The Amish are NOT dutch. Ita a corruption of the german word for … german.
They are of swiss descent as a rule. Like the puritains, they were driven out of switzerland for their extreme views.

Thank you for the question.
I am an environmental geologist who lives in “Cornlandia”. I study and remediate sites that are contaminated. My work takes me around the USA. I came across this site while googling about the Amish. My wife and I recently took in a 8 year old female golden retriever that the local amish abused all of its life then left to die. In my googling a post on this site came up entitled “why I hate the amish”. I am a civil person who abores cruelty and racism. But I also bloody well hate religous fanatics who generally are cruel. Trumpers are a good example… So are the Amish.

I travel most of the nation by vehicle due to the weird equipment I must transport in my work - you cant fly with it. I also work in a lot of rural settings and have had a lot of interactions with the Amish. I have come to see them like the Taliban but with better marketing. I judge people based upon behavior and character. So I cant paint a person I dont know as “bad”. But I can paint a culture by its values and beliefs. Amish culture is a very ugly thing - and like nearly all fanatics and extremists - its largely a fraud.

Were you aware that you were responding to a thread that was TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD?

This thread can vote, serve in the army and legally drink in all states.

If this thread voted in all states I’m telling Sidney Powell.

I’m sure her jowls would shake with glee…

Hey, you got me, there. Really.

Hi Euphy! yes I did - but as a geologist, I have a different sense of what “old” is.

You would then be surprised to learn that the vast majority of people in China view dogs as pets. And those that are pets are usually pampered to the nines. Dogs used as food are much more the stereotype than the norm. Jus’ sayin’

It still has a ways to go before it can rent a car, however.

When I lived in that town, I knew a woman who, along with her husband, owned a business and they had some Amish customers and were invited to an Amish wedding. They asked what they should wear and bring, and were told, “Dress the way you would at one of your weddings, and bring a gift that you think it appropriate.” She wore her beige suit and he wore his navy blue suit, and they got them a set of bath towels in a neutral color. She also said that at one point, she got into a conversation with the bride’s mother and asked what it was like, planning a wedding with over 400 guests of whom 90% plus were Amish. The bride’s mother looked from side to side, cupped her hand over her mouth, and whispered, “It was a nightmare.”

China Guy thanks for your response. As a scientist, I dont mind being shown that I am wrong.
In this case, I would be over-joyed to be wrong. I am also aware that I have not been to China and my only information comes from dog rescue organizations and therefore is likely to be skewed. Moreover, China, like every other country on earth, has no monopoly on abuse. In my travels all over the USA I see things that most middle class suburbanites dont. America is not what we like to think it is. But then again, the mask came off when we elected trump, didnt it?

I have also been told by people who have lived there that for the most part, the dogs and cats that ARE eaten by people were bred for that purpose, comparable to the way people have pet rabbits, and may also breed rabbits for food.

I LIKE this guy.

Me too.

Someone needed to rouse the thread, if slightly late, for Rumspringa.

Anyone who calls me “Euphy” has my vote.

I once saw this Amish guy (he was a professional bowler BTW) who sawed off a horse’s feet when he was supposed to change its shoes!

Sounds like a real (king)pinhead.

Sure, I truncated, but I just wanted to get the basic point across that I’m impressed and it’s refeshing to see forthright, measured exchanges like this where folks (even scientists!) have the good grace to fess up to standing corrected, and moving forward in a totally proactive manner.
Bravo.

I don’t know what they use (or don’t use) for soap. But every time I’ve encountered one, man that is a funk the likes of Seinfelds car.

When I get the chance I buy some Amish made butter. Usually all butter is alike enough that it doesn’t matter. But Amish butter is fantastic.