I shot a man in ______ (?)

Did you know that Johnny Cash studied pre-med before he got into show business?*

Actually, it was “I shot a man in the renals* just to watch him die.”

It’s the inmates that didn’t know that renals are kidneys who decided he must have said “Reno”. :stuck_out_tongue:

*Of course you didn’t; I just made that up, just now!

“I shot a man in my pajamas; what he was doing in my pajamas, I’ll never know.”

Sorry Groucho.

Just last week I bought this movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113369/combined

Well, I didn’t think Johnny was a murderer. I figured we were speaking figuritively of him as the “narrator” of the song.

When I got it, it was labeled “The Blues Rules”, but that’s one of them…

I’ve always thought of Johnny Cash more along the lines of a folk singer, rather than a country music kinda guy.

This is probably from another Johnny Cash song called “Wanted Man” (written by Bob Dylan). Here are the relevant lyrics:

Went to sleep in Shreveport,
Woke up in Abilene
Wonderin’ why I’m wanted at some town half way in between

That’d be the butt, Bob.

And I just has a flashback to the scene in Forrest Gump where the hero shows JFK his injury…
:stuck_out_tongue:

JC was arrested in '65 in El Paso for bringing a large quantity of pills across the border. He was addicted to pain killers and amphetamines at the time. Never did any prison time. He wrote Folsom Prison Blues while serving in the Air Force in the early ‘50’s.
He was one of Sun Records top artists for years. He hung around with folks like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins.
Early in his career he was a regular at "The Grand Ol’ Opry" but his addictions got him kicked outta there.
His first prison concert at San Quentin in '59 an inmate by the name of Merle Haggard was there. It inspired him to start his music career.

Hello, I’m Johnny Cash. is how he introduced himself on his variety show The Johnny Cash Show 1969-1971 was very popular. He had guest musicians from various genre. Guests that included the likes of; Bob Dylan, Roger Miller, Joni Mitchell, Merle Haggard, Marty Robbins, The Cowsills, Gordon Lightfoot, Linda Ronstadt, Neil Young, Louis Armstrong, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The Monkees, Graham Nash, and many others.

He performed at the Whitehouse and also starred in several movies.

I haven’t checked but I feel like Ring of Fire is probably his most popular song. Didn’t I hear a recent version of it done by…? Can’t recall but it wasn’t bad.

Preparation H needs to pony up and use it in their commercials.

Cash also once spent the night in jail in LaFayette, Georgia. Drunk (and on pills) and disorderly.

The sheriff there spent the night with Johnny in his cell, talking to him and trying to get him to turn his life around, for which Cash expressed much gratitude later. In fact I believe Cash wound up donating the construction cost or some portion of it for a football stadium at LaFayette High School.

They’re working on it.
http://www.tennessean.com/entertainment/news/archives/04/01/46171284.shtml

Rosanne and the other kids have expressed horror at “Ring of Fire” being used that way, seeing as how their stepmother (and John Carter’s real mother) wrote it and their father sang it for decades. It’s not going to happen.