I think I figured out what I don't like about Terry Pratchett

Heh. My sister made me a t-shirt that says that. :cool:

Small Gods is my personal favorite, but the other three books you read are generally held to be the worst books in the Discworld series. Not that they’re bad, per se, just that they don’t hold up at all compared to his later work.

Then again, I don’t think much of Douglas Adams, so we might be working from totally different directions.

Just to note, The Colour of Magic (which is, by the way, octarine), The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites are the first three Discworld books published*. Pterry was just finding his footing on the Disc at that time, so they’re nowhere near as polished or firm as the later ones.

*I think. Sourcerer may be in there between TLF and EqR…

I think there’s a vital difference between Adams and Pratchett. If you took all the funny out of an Adams book, you’d be left with an okay story and a kind of randomish plot. If you took all the funny out of a Pratchett book (except maybe the first few Discworld books, which were more about parodying fantasy literary conventions than being strong in their own right) you’d still have a pretty good book.

I read them in kind of a random order, starting with Wyrd Sisters and over the next several years picking up whatever books appeared at the used book store and occasionally filling in the gaps with non-used ones.

The Watch books seem to meander a littler more inwhat types of things they parody. A lot of detective/crime fiction, also some history (Men at Arms has a lot to do with the Kennedy assasination)(the grassy gnoll bit was priceless).

It was a rather disappointing purple color.
The Color of Magic

Vimes: “Well … see which way the wind is blowing. Very carefully. And – trust no-one.”
Carrot: “Er … I can trust Angua, can’t I?”
Vimes: “Well, of course you–”
Carrot: “And you, presumably.”
Vimes: “Me, well, obviously. That goes without say–”
Carrot: “Corporal Littlebottom? She can be very helpful–”
Vimes: “Cheery, yes, certainly you can trust–”
Carrot: “Sergeant Detritus? I always thought he was very trust–”
Vimes: “Detritus, oh yes, he–”
Carrot: “Nobby? Should I–”
Jingo

(Can I plug my collection of Terry Pratchett quotes? :smiley: )

No you can’t. Not unless you update it. :smiley:

And the Pratchett books would be…basically the same length. I like Pratchett but if you guys are going to keep mentioning his hilarity then I’m going to have to ask for specific cites. I’ve just never seen it.

See** rjung’s** plug for his quote list. It’s sadly dated, because rjung is a slacker :smiley: , but it has any number of short examples of Pterry’s wit.

I think the funniest books are the earlier ones. Not the earliest, but those beginning from Guards! Guards!. Guards! Guards! in particular is very often lough out loud funny. The newest ones have become much more serious.

Also the L-space web’s Quote File
It seems to be pretty updated.

If you personally don’t enjoy his style of humor, how is it going to change matters if we type out a quote that we think is funny but you don’t? There are things in the world of comedy that fail to amuse me, but if other people tell me they think they’re funny then I just have to accept that the intended humor succeeds with some people and I am simply not one of them.

Yeah, but it gives us a chance to trot out our favorite Pterry quotes. :smiley:

“…and then Jack chopped down the beanstalk, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and trespass charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you’re a hero, because no one asks inconvenient questions.”

Hogfather

“The Assassin moved quietly from roof to roof until he was well away from the excitement around the Watch House. His movements could be called cat-like, except that he did not stop to spray urine up against things.” -Nightwatch

Hey, lookit that! L-Space finally updated their annotations page! Heh. Reminds me of another of my all time favorite Pratchett lines:

“’‘We have the gloomy and purposeless trousers of Uncle Vanya,’ said one, doubtfully.”

Trust me. In context, it’s hilarious.

I guess that’s the funny part ;). I really liked ‘Color of Magic’ and ‘The Light Fantastic’, but not ‘Small Gods’ so much.

Though I liked his collaberation with Neil Gaman in ‘Good Omens’.

Some people are never satisfied… :wink:

Drat. You’re right. The Colour of Magic.

Thanks!