I think I'm in love with Rachel Maddow

I’d do her . . . but we’d ***both ***have to change teams.

“Teabaggers” was a derogatory term given them by the left. They didn’t self-identify with that term.

i’ve been a fan for quite some time. she is one of the best on tv.

i love that she had a segment on the extremely endangered kakapo. i don’t think that a news show outside of new zealand or possibly australia would have a segment on the kakapo.

i’m sure the fact that the parrot attempt to shag the guy narrating the documentary had nothing to do with her spotlighting the horribly endangered flightless parrot.

i can’t decide who is my biggest news crush, maddow or cooper.

Actually, no. They self-identified as “teabaggers” first. That was proven with old news footage and “TEA Party” mass e-mails. The Left started laughing shortly after at their cluelessness.

I have to agree with John Mace. I dislike her delivery. She always seems to be laughing at whatever she’s talking about, which rubs me the wrong way. I can handle fake news being delivered deadpan, but I guess I can’t handle real news being delivered like a joke.

She does seem very smart and witty, though. I’m sure I’d like her if I met her at a party or something.

Do you have cites for this? This is what I thought too but I have been having trouble finding direct proof.

This Rachel Maddow clip covers cites in which the tea party movement themselves used 'tea bagger ’ before the press started making fun of them for it.

I’ve been poking around, and as near as I can tell the rallies were “officially” called “Tea Parties.” I’m not sure they were called anything else, but some bright bulb had the idea of using tea bags as an icon of the rallies, along with sending tea bags to Democrat politicians (which probably inspired this protest sign). They never called themselves teabaggers as far as I can tell. I think that really did start with people making fun of them. However, given the “Tea Bag the Democrats!” stuff, I don’t think it’s unfair mockery.

Yes, I realize that first link is an April 1 blog post, so it’s possibly suspect. But the website itself appears to be in earnest as far as I can tell. I may have been hit with Poe’s Law, I admit.

ETA: Nice catch on the video, boytyperanma. Here’s the Nordlinger article Maddow mentions.

Yes, that’s the problem when you get your “news” from a news commentator. They never called themselves “Teabaggers”, and when they said “Teabag the Democrats”, that could only be an insult to Democrats. Calling them “teabaggers” makes it sound like they sit around teabagging each other.

Except it looks like whoever pushed the “Tea Bag the Dems!” cry wasn’t aware of the vulgar meaning in the first place. That’s what makes it funny. I don’t think anyone’s implied they sit around teabagging each other. They want to tea bag people. Thus they are teabaggers. It’s basic English construction which happens to be funny in a juvenile way. It’s like if someone created the Fraternity of Underappreciated Citizens of Kansas completely innocently. News commentators might not be able to joke on the air, but the blogs would be drowning in FUCKer jokes.

There are photographs of her doing her show prep, down on the floor of her office, with dozens of printouts from various news websites, with newspapers, magazines and all manner of media surrounding her. She takes it very, very seriously.

I genuinely like her personality and she is obviously bright and intelligent, but I try not to feed myself too much on a steady diet of leftist propaganda. I view her show in the same way I view The Daily Show – hilarious, smart, and completely biased.

I really haven’t seen as much representation of the opposing viewpoint as I would like to. Her feature ‘‘Talk Me Down’’ generally expresses a strong left-wing opinion, and then she says, ‘‘Here to try to talk me down is…’’ … someone who agrees with her completely. sigh

I really feel like she’s capable of so much more as a journalist. But it’s definitely entertaining.

That’s the impression I got as well. Her general demeanor is affable and friendly, and you have to seriously piss her off to make her otherwise - which makes her an excellent choice as the first “out” news anchor, not unlike how Ellen DeGeneres’ affable and friendly demeanor made her America’s Lesbian Best Friend (no, I don’t know how Rosie O’Donnell’s in your face demeanor fits into this calculation).

But when she’s reporting on something serious, she reflects that seriousness. Especially during her recent long investigative pieces.

She hasn’t had a “Talk Me Down” segment in months. Probably because of not being able to get guests who could do that.

Without getting into a GD style debate here, I’ll note that 1) I can’t really say whether the guy knew the vulgar meaning, since it would be perfectly understandable for him to say it even if he did and 2) it’s simply not correct to say that “They self-identified as ‘teabaggers’ first.”

Having said that, I have no problem with left-leaning commentators using that term in a mocking way. It’s the new “-gate” to use “-ers” like birthers and truthers and tenthers. It will color my perception of that person’s bias, but I’m not outraged by the use.

Seperated at birth?

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/maddow.jpg

http://www.gonewiththetwins.com/pages/interviews/2008/interviewscreenshots/fredsavage02.jpg

Funny enough i fell for Rachel when she was a fill in on Air America… They kept bouncing her show around and sometimes she would fill in for Franken … the funny part was i had absolutely no idea what she looked like. I did look her up and found out that she was a Rhodes Scholar and was thought to be the first openly out gay/lesbian person to be a reciptient… they tried so many diff combinations after Keith… the finally settling on and goin with Rachel was the smartest thing they’ve done…