I think one of the apartments near mine is selling drugs. What to do?

Um, might they want the numerous plate numbers I’ve collected? Perhaps they could start with that?

Hmm. And prostitution doesn’t hurt anyone either. Your argument is invalid. Illegality is the issue.

So you would call the police on a pair of adults having anal sex if it were still illegal? Illegality is the issue, after all. Right?

Waaay off topic. Nice try.

I will only say that when the cops don’t give a shit, it may be time to think of moving somewhere else.

Bastards.

What’s your point? It’s the same principle. Unless you’re going to come right out and admit to being a hypocrite or intellectually lazy, you’ll gladly explain why you can say “but it’s illegal” in one instance and not in another.

The neighborhood is far from questionable in general. I have a really sweet deal going here, and I doubt my neighbors want to move because of one unit that might be endangering the rest of us.

If one location becomes suspect in a neighborhood, the solution is not to leave, but to oust the offender. Leaving just leads to areas that are highly prone to crime.

Can you even conceive a topic? I’m talking about one instance, in my neighborhood. I’m not talking about speeding, tax evasion, anal sex, jaywalking, prostitution, theft, burglary, murder, extortion, treason, or forgery. If you’d bother to read my OP, you’d see that I’m not concerned about the legality, as much as I am the inherent danger surrounding such activities. You are really d*** aren’t you?

Have fun getting your p**per plugged. Maybe afterwards you can address my question appropriately.

Well, we don’t know your specific neighborhood, as I’m sure you’re aware. Since we don’t know the specifics of your situation, we have to rely on general principles involved in “should I call the police on people I suspect of selling drugs?” So while you might be talking about your neighborhood, unless we have more details of what these people are actually doing, it’s generalities everyone else will be talking about.

Make up your mind.

The illegality of drugs is what makes them dangerous. Because the free and voluntary transations are not protected by legitimate force, the use of violence is the only way of resolving disputes. This doesn’t change the fact that these people might lead to violence, I admit, but it’s something that should factor into your decision making.

And maybe you can realize we’re all presumably adults here and no one is offended by the word “poop.” Look. Poop poop poop poop. If getting a pooper plugged means anal sex, then I’m not really sure what to say. Are you saying there’s something inherently disgraceful in anal sex?

I am addressing your points and you are dodging the question at every step and turn. You are lazy at best and a hypocrite at worst.

At the time of my original questioning, your only supplied reason for calling the police was “it’s illegal”, a defense so laughably absurd you can’t even be bothered to defend it and are even trying to rewrite history and claim you never said that.

I’ll quote myself once, and then wash my hands of forumbot.

Illegality is clearly not my concern, it’s unknown activity. Ever heard of a drug deal gone bad? Apparently it happens, a lot. Along with coke, meth, heroin, crack, and what have you, there are often large sums of money and numerous guns. That is my concern. The illegality notion should have been clear to anyone who read my post that said “I’m not going to get bent out of shape because of some dude that works at McDonalds happens to sell a couple dime bags to his buds.” Look, it’s right up there!

As long as it’s legal where you are forumbot, feel free to pack your poop vigorously. Perhaps a jackhammer might help you enjoy it.

Fine, dnooman. In that case, feel free to refer back to your post #22 and say ‘Ah, sorry, I didn’t mean that, that didn’t represent my thoughts on this issue at all and I retract it’.

Also your tone towards Forumbot is inappropriate for this forum.

I definitely would not leave a note, you might be seen.

I would also not tell the landlord, they might send somebody over there who might say something stupid like “Your neighbor across the way there says he’s annoyed by all the activity going on here.” Next thing you know, the cops show up and they know it was you.

You did all you could do, in my opinion.

Consider me chided.

I truly think this was uncalled for.

dnooman, despite the uneccessary hijack, I understand your frustration. I think you need to give it a few weeks. The police aren’t going to tell you if they are investigating a drug house, they have no way of knowing if you might screw things up by saying the wrong thing. If the activity continues and there is no police action, then I’d suggest you contact your elected representative in the city/county gov’t. and lay out the situation. I’d also think it wise to continue to keep records of the activity and any action that you take, including dates and approximate time.
If you’re close to any of your neighbors, you might also get their support, just in case this is being ignored by the police, be subtle, you don’t want to attract the wrong attention.

… or these gems:

Mods must be off tonight.

Why should it factor in his decision making? I get what you’re saying about something isn’t inherently immoral just because it is illegal, but the fact is its illegal where the OP lives and if his neighbors are indeed dealing heavy drugs they could very easily attract violent or dangerous people to the area and the OP does not have to justify to you why he shouldn’t have to live in fear of that.

IMO, the police aren’t really going to care about the small time folks buying the stuff. They’re going to want to nab the seller and the sellers’ suppliers. The second they try to arrest, issue a ticket, or follow a buyer, you’ll be damn sure that buyer will inform the seller as to what’s up. As soon as that happens, it will be hard to collect prosecution data on the ones they really want to bust. If they want buyers plate numbers, they can get them easily with a camera if they want them.

As said by others, you’ve done all you can do. Involving yourself further is only asking for trouble.

dnooman, you don’t need to be defensive about this. You’ve done the responsible thing; you don’t have to tolerate illegal activity in your neighborhood. End of story. No need to feel guilty/narkish/uncool/whatever.

True. I thought that the plates could at least be run to determine the possibility of drug traffic there. Prior drug hits on numerous tags would indicate that there might be something to follow up on, zero hits might mean that it’s not worth investigating.