I used to make fun of people who.... and now I am one

I used to smirk at those germaphobic snowflakes that took the antibacterial wipes and cleaned their grocery cart before shopping. After my last horrific bout of flu, I sanitize the ever-lovin’ shit out of those stupid carts.

I refuse to end up like my parents, sitting at home watching “Murder She Wrote” instead of going out and having a good time.

We’re different, and are sitting at home binge-watching “Father Brown” on Netflix.
For those unfamiliar – both series are about an amateur sleuth in a small town, annoying the police but always solving the crime. And given the number of seasons (and murders) of each series, both feature towns which must have a murder rate exceeding any city in (probably) the world.

How old are you? The first US patent for seat belts was applied for in 1885. Seat belts were standard on some cars by 1958. PSAs urging everyone to use seatbelts were shown on television no later than 1964, possibly earlier.

I used to laugh and point at those weird looking wheelchair people. Now I am one. :frowning:

I’m guessing the reference is to the days before seat belt laws existed. When I took driver’s ed in 1971, we had to buckle up while learning, but afterwards, no one cared if you belted yourself or not. I always did, but my dad didn’t till it became the law.

Everything from ‘Dunlap Syndrome’ to wearing colored socks with sandals while taking out the trash (why take the time and trouble to put on shoes, I’ll just slip these on. Who am I trying to impress anyways?)

I’ve often said that Cabot Cove, Maine, has the highest per capita murder rate in the world. Possibly surpassed by Kembleford, UK.

It was a long while after seatbelts became mandatory before people (including myself) actually started buckling up every single time. Especially back in the day of bench seats where you wanted to snuggle up to the driver. You didn’t want to buckle yourself in waaaay over by the other door. (Yeah, there was probably a seatbelt in the middle of the front seat. Just sayin’.) Now, I fasten my seatbelt if I’m moving my car up the driveway.

Going to bed before 10:00 and getting up before 7:00.

Last night I went to bed at 8:45, today I was up at 5:15.

I watch murder mysteries and period dramas. I used to haaaaaate those when my parents watched them. I remember even saying something insulting about them to my Mother as she watched, which I now regret because it was so completely rude.

Having said that, I don’t think I would enjoy those same old shows now, as they are so slow and dated.

I was born in 1960. Seatbelts weren’t required by law, but they were required by my parents and many of my friends’ parents. The “buckle up for safety” ads were a staple of my childhood. I took drivers’ ed in 1975, and we were required to strap in before driving. For the final driving exam we weren’t reminded to put them on, but we lost enough points if we didn’t that we would be unlikely to pass.

My dad always laughs when he hears people say “we never wore seatbelts and we all grew up fine”, because he remembers that people, especially children, got killed or seriously injured all the time in relatively minor accidents.

The first US laws requiring seatbelt use were in 1984, but Victoria Australia started mandating 3 point seatbelt use in 1970, followed by New South Wales in 1971 and the rest of Australia, New Zealand & West Germany in 1972.

I knew plenty of people who stubbornly refused to wear seatbelts long after the laws were passed (still do, for that matter), but I also knew plenty who religiously wore them long before they were mandated.

A democrat. I never “made fun” of democrats but, being raised as a moderate republican, they were always “the other side”. Now, I AM “the other side”.

I use to call old drivers Grandpa or Grandma. I am now that Grandpa.

That is awful.

I’ve been going to bed anywhere from midnight to 3 a.m. I really need to improve my sleep schedule.

The old folks told the same stories over and over again…

:smack:

My daughter isn’t as diplomatic with me as I was with them.

I didn’t make fun of them at the time, but I used to *really *resent people with more seniority than me getting first choice for shifts and vacation days. They told me, wait until you have seniority, you won’t be complaining then!

Well now I have 35 years, double what my 3 coworkers have put together. Do I take every scheduling and shift-choice advantage that goes with my seniority? You bet I do.

I used to look down my nose at middle-aged ladies who’d “given up” and gotten frumpy. Now that I am a middle-aged lady, I realize that they haven’t given up, they’ve wised up and realized that they’re free from the patriarchal bullspit of primping and preening and wearing uncomfortable things. Now I feel sorry for the women who still drink the kool-aid.

People who get up at the same time on the weekends as they do for the work week. Why would you want to do that?!

Now that I have my CPAP and have my sleeping under control, I’m actually kinda stoked to get up and stay up on weekend mornings. So much more time to do stuff or not do stuff!

Mostly bald although I actually always hoped I would end up that way. My hair was really thick, curly and took a ton of care (especially with motorcycle helmets) but picking on “chrome-domes” was just so easy. And since every man in my blood-line going back four generations took a full head of hair to the grave I would have bet it wasn’t going to be my problem. When my doctor told me the one medicine would probably cause significant hair loss I could have kissed her.

was when I was young I thought Jazz was boring and something that only old people would listen to.

Boy, were you wrong about that.