I want to buy moonshine....

That’s certainly my opinion. A lot of this stuff is made by micro distilleries that simply wouldn’t have any product or cash-flow for several years if they waited for proper aging. To my mind, there’s a big difference between the microbrew revolution and the current micro distillery thing going on. Microbrews offered a wide range of demonstrably superior products, while I think the established liquor brands are much tougher competition.

Yes. Max Watman’s Chasing the White Dog is a very entertaining read on the subject.

Slightly off topic question…a dufus would assume that pyrex lab glass would make a fine moonshine still. But, apparently he would be wrong.

The still must be made of copper, or the output will be methanol and propanol.

Anyone care to explain that to a dufus?

Called lao khao. Nasty stuff. I swore it off more than 20 years ago after getting hold of some I am absolutely certain was cut with insecticide, which the locals will sometimes do. We won’t talk about that night. But I’ve found some in Laos that’s downright tasty.

That’s not specifically true. My understanding (as someone who has read several books on home distilling) is that a still can be made of anything. Copper is preferred because it heats evenly, it tends to remove off-tasting sulfur compounds from the vapor, and it is the traditional material. Modern moonshine operations typically use galvanized sheet metal (see the Watman book for a detailed description). You can buy stills through various online sources made from stainless steel milk jugs.

Non-ethanol alcohols as well as fuel oils are an unavoidable part of the fermentation process. A good distiller will cut (remove) the heads and tails of the distillation, as the heads contain the lighter alcohols and the tails contain the bad-tasting fusel oils.

For purely informational purposes, of course.:dubious:

I had real moonshine some years ago. A guy at a party handed me a bottle of white wine and I took a big slug… only it wasn’t white wine, but white lightnin’. Boy it was awful and burned all the way down. That was enough for me.
I recently researched Everclear for a song I was writing - I wasn’t sure if it was still being produced - and yes it is and is available in most states over the counter. It is powerfully, dangerously strong alcohol. Caveat emptor.
As others have pointed out, “legal moonshine” is a contradiction in terms.
Bottoms up!

'The woodsman pushed the jug into the stranger’s hands and then stepped back and aimed his gun at the frightened surveyor. “Take a drink,” he commanded. The northerner gulped down a few swallows of fiery liquid. The Kentuckian took back the jug and handed his gun to the stranger. “Now,” he insisted, “you make me take a drink!”

“Now hold that gun squar on me…It’s the only way I can get the damned stuff down myself!”’

…Kentucky Bluegrass Country R. Gerald Alvey

You can get the real deal in eastern Tennessee. It will take a somewhat deft touch, though. You have to sniff out a local who’s hip and gain his/her trust. Start with a general conversation; the locals are- with few exceptions- very friendly. (Try tiny bars or grocery stores/ sometimes little mountain antique stores)

My scam is this: I look for someone who looks like they might be “plugged in.” After a little chat I tell them I’m looking to purchase an old moonshine jug as a gift for someone. Then I say: “Hey, you know what would be cool? If I could get some real moonshine to put in it.” Half the time the local bites…

The standard price is $20 a mason jar. In my opinion, moonshine gets a bad rap. It’s powerful (maybe 160 proof), but mixed with diet-coke and ice (the way I drink it), it’s really delicious… a taste all its own.

I have established a connection and I buy 5 jars on a typical run ($100); needless to say, they welcome me with open arms.

Same here.

Don’t forget the toxic contaminants found quiet often in homebrew.

They’ve been known to toss dead animals into the still to mellow the flavor.

I’ve drank contraband booze in four countries, first time stuff made by my Pap (grandpa) when I was 14 years old. I understand Pap was kicked out of Shelby county for shining, but that was before my time. I also drank cane hooch in central America (peace corps days) and most recently in Russia a couple years ago. But I have sampled lots of different shines in AR, TN, MS. Not all shine is the same. One really nasty batch in costa rica made me want to die the next morning, and I think I prob had only 4 or 5 shots over the evening. All of it is firewater, but it is not always everclear strength. Some of it is fairly drinkable mixed w coke or fruit juice, and sometimes it comes flavored. In Russia they add pepper to make it even hotter. Nasty.

Here in the Southern Appalachians you can get some mighty good shine. You can get rotgut, too…you should know who you’re buying from. The good stuff is potent, too. Not 190 proof, but probably 100-150 proof. And cheaper than anything from a liquor store, of course.

I myself have made it before. It was decent, but not as good as whiskey from the oldtimers in the hills who’ve been making it for generations.

You post this on a board dedicated to fighting ignorance?

It’s not entirely unheard of…

Still seized in Bolivar County

…it was customary to throw a little blue heron into the beer…

Floyd said it was very common to find dead animals floating in fermenters deep in the woods of mountain counties…

Replying to **zombywoof **in a mini-Zombie thread…

The last time I made…err…I mean…I hear you can make it from a brown sugar solution. Of course, we only got…I mean…you might only get 180 proof. YMMV…
-D/a

No, no, no. It has to be corn.

No, most moonshine these days is entirely sugar-based.

http://www.good.is/post/legalize-moonshine-a-q-a-with-max-watman/

On April 1st, it’s corn.

Shine on Georgia Moon is found in liquor stores and comes in a mason jar.

I’ve had the illegal kind before. It’s usually referred to as corn liquor. Not impressed. Sometimes it has been flavored in the bottle with sugar and Kool-aid (how’s THAT for trashy?) or fruit. Still not impressed.

I’ll see what I can do for it…but time is short!

-Popcorn is the new Kernel