I want to see a wild moose!

The Kanc is good, but Moose Alley didn’t get its name for no reason. You will see moose there pretty much every summer evening at dusk in one of several wallows. The Kanc is a good bet, but not as high probability in my experience.

Last year, we were headed north from Sudbury, to visit a friend’s woodland cabin, and when we reached where the highway winds between wetlands on either side, didn’t we see a Mama moose and calf pop up onto the road to cross over to the lake on the other side.

Traffic completely stopped as everyone was just awestruck. It was all over within a couple of moments but I doubt anyone who saw it will forget any time soon.

They slowly sauntered across, seemingly aloof to the gawkers cars, but it was still easy to detect the Mama glancing around for threats to her babe. Just her eyes darting around as they lumbered forward.

It was a great experience and whenever we pass that spot now, I’m always eyeballing everything, hoping for a repeat!

Look for recently cut areas like power line right of ways or timber land. If hardwoods are growing in, they will come in to feed on the new growth.

Not so sure about that - could be my bad luck - or your good luck.

I travel to Northern Minnesota a lot. Was just up there last weekend. My parents live up in the Iron Range. It’s practically my second home. And I’ve been up on the Gunflint Trail I don’t know how many times. I camp in the BWCA every year, sometimes twice a year. When I was a kid, I lived up there whole summers some years.

I’ve never seen a wild moose, not once.

Ely, International Falls, Rainy Lake, Gunflint Trail, Grand Marais, Hibbing, Biwabik, Eveleth, Virginia… all combined, literally hundreds of times. Never a moose.

Saw a black bear cow and cubs once (only once ever) about 15 years ago.
Saw the northern lights twice (last time was over 10 years ago).

Jeez - sounds like it’s just my bad luck after all.

Elk, in Europe. “Moose” is Americanski.

The Kenai Penninsula, AK, especially a little south of Girdwood and around Kenai/Soldatna.

The last time I was staying at the Jasper Park Lodge in Alberta there was a moose that was poking around the door to our cabin. We were kind of stuck for about 20 minutes before it decided to move along. I was about 5 ft away from it with just a thin door between us.

Until you decide where to go, twin moose calves playing in sprinkler. No insipid music version.

In Newfoundland, if you drive the length of the island at night, there is a pretty good chance that you’ll hit one and total your car. There is just one road across Newfoundland, and it averages more than one moose kill per night. I’ve seen several there, and also very narrowly missed hitting one in Quebec. But that was over tens of thousands of miles of driving, so there is no high probability you will see one anywhere.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti…

It was my understanding that the worst thing you can do is get between a mom moose and her calf.

Frederick is handsome! Great photo.

Araminty, I’m from MN, have never seen a moose too close, but wish you luck in your quest.

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone! Keep it coming!

That can be bad, but I’m more concerned about male moose during rut (Oct/Nov). They’ll charge anything they think is a threat, and during rut, everything is a threat.

Go to Cicely, Alaska. There’s this one moose always wandering around the town. I saw a documentaryabout it.

Wherever you go, go in the spring when moose are attracted to road salt in the vegetation in ditches after a salt deficient winter. Once you are there, cruise about a dawn and at dusk, for that’s when they tend to be out.

Minnesota moose have been having a hard time. The moose population in that state has dropped in half in the last four years. The northeast (particularly the Gunflint Trail) is where their population is the most dense in the state, but even then it has been dropping there since 2006.

If you don’ mind a truly beautiful drive, head to the top of Lake Superior and cruise for moose along the Trans-Canada from the lake up to Manitouwadge. I usually come across moose when out that way in the spring. While you are at the of Superior, charter a motorboat and visit the Slate Islands, which are teeming with caribou (yes, you can camp there,- it is a provincial park – and yes, they may walk through your campsite).

If you can get to Toronto or Ottawa, then head for the Highway 60 corridor in Algonquin Park, where there are a lot of moose. I suppose it might be possible to not see a moose at sundown during the spring, but I’d be surprised., for there really are a lot of them. The visitor centre overlooks a wetland that moose tend to like.

they hump subcompacts.

And they’ll try to have sex with anything they think is a female moose. One of my friends and his brother were chased in their canoe down Pickerel Lake in Quetico by a swimming moose after the brother made a moose call. Fortunately, they were skilled paddlers (both white water paddlers and one a sprint racer), so over a few hours they were able to pull away from the amorous moose.

Yet I’ve lived in NH for nearly 25 years and have never seen a moose outside of captivity. There’s only 10,000 in the state, it’s not like we’re tripping over them. Stick to the tours and don’t expect to see them otherwise.

Correction: make that from the Trans Canada up to Manitouwadge (not along the Trans Canada).