Firstly, let me just say that where I live, SF means Speculative Fiction, and is a catch-all term for Fantasy and Science Fiction(which I usually abbreviate as SciFi),as well as other stuff usually loosely called “genre”, like Magic Realism and Occult Horror . So when I see SF, I first assume an overall genre mix is being addressed, then only after evaluating context do I decide if the person meant Science Fiction when they say SF (as I gather most people here have been doing). I’ll use SpecFic from now on, I think.
[QUOTE=eleanorigby]
What’s with the snark?
[/QUOTE]
It wasn’t snark, it was comic understatement. It’s not meant to be snappy at you, but rather amusing to those who already know what Earthsea is. The *link *was for you, though. Did ya read it?
[QUOTE=eleanorigby]
I am not disdainful of SF-I am not a StarWars fan. I liked the LeGuin books I read-that is the only one that stayed with me. I am not trashing SF.
[/QUOTE]
If you think all post-Bradbury SciFi is about Tech, then yes, you are trashing it. Read Iain M. Banks for the current state of the art (little in-joke there). For something that straddles the line between Fantasy and SciFi very nicely, read Mieville’s *Perdido Street Station .*Fantasy is not all elves and dragons, despite what Paolini and ilk might think.
I think part of the problem is that you are protesting the trashing of Paolini without any knowledge of what the current best in the field of SpecFic is. Here’s a hint, it isn’t Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind.
[QUOTE=eleanorigby]
All manner of good literature goes unrecognized and unsung. And not every book/movie deserves the awards it is given.
[/QUOTE]
Earthsea did. It is one of the classics of the genre, up there with Tolkien, in fact. Le Guin is as much a fantasy icon as a SciFi one, if not more so. If you were a fantasy fan, you would know this. You’d also know why we were slating Paolini. One of the people he rips off is Le Guin, in the magic system he uses.
[QUOTE=eleanorigby]
I don’t see your point. It would be nice if LeGuin’s book was made into a movie (pick one-she writes like other people breathe-her output is amazing), but ASAIK, that hasn’t happened…yet.
[/QUOTE]
There was a SciFi Channel miniseries of Earthsea, in fact. Haven’t seen it, but reviews were…not kind.
[QUOTE=eleanorigby]
I would like to see the Pern books made into a movie–but fear that it would be cheesy, like so much fantasy.
[/QUOTE]
That’s because the Pern books are cheesy. Good cheese to start with, a Brie or Camembert, but the later books? Cheese-wiz. Or possibly Ch’z-w’z.
Still, I’d watch the movies for sure.