'I Went to a Public School' and other random musings.

I went to a public HS, and I didnt read any of those “classics” either. They just never seemed to appeal to me (and yes, the English classes I took were college prep).

Neet. I expect to see it the next time I see you :).

Nope, i dont think that’s a weird place. A weird place would be say, your forehead. And no, it’s not weird to get one while you’re getting one lasered off. Just means you probably werent thinking deeply about the one you’re removing :D.

I absolutely love Poe. I have a copy of “Haunted” (yes, i AM going to buy the actual CD…i just need more cash-money). My favorite song from that album is probably “Amazed” (which i’m listening to as I type). But, Hey Pretty is a good song. Another one I really like is 5 1/s hallway, and also “If You Were Here” (reminds me of my friend who passed away). She’s just a good artist all around. Good shit.
with you there’s no easy answer it’s true
you change the equation I add up to
and all of the things that I thought I knew
you turn it around

I’m amazed
when push comes to shove
what i’d give to you
everything

sigh
I’m amazed…

whoops…should be “5 1/2 Minute Hallway”

Classics is kind of a broad term, and I have weird tastes anyway, but here goes:

For humor, satire and black satire: **The Innocents Abroad, Roughing It, Huckleberry Finn, **all by Mark Twain. Gulliver’s Travels by Swift (it aint the kid story that you think it is) Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

For Sci-Fi: **The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land, **by Heinlein. The Mote In God’s Eye, Lucifer’s Hammer by Nivens and Pournelle. The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton.

Straight Classics: **Moby Dick, or the Whale **by Herman Melville. One of my all time favorites. Don Quixote by Cervantes (can be a heavy read).

Mysteries: The Sign of Four, The Valley of Fear, The Hound of the Baskervilles, all part of the Sacred Holmes Canon by Arthur Conan Doyle. The rest of Holmes isn’t bad either. Poe’s detective stories, G. K. Chesterton, Ellery Queen.

Miscellaneous: The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill, King Rat by James Clavell, The Annotated Alice by Martin Gardner.
Also, check out the other book threads in the files. There have been quite a few and some really good recommendations, too.

Do you have to smile for a photo? I didn’t smile for my HS graduation photo. Thirteen years on, I can still look at it without cringing.

Will there come a time when Tolkien is assigned reading in high school or college? It only took about a generation and a half for Shortstop in the Rye, or whatever it is.

And of course to really appreciate these classics, you’ll have to read them in their original languages.

On other issues:

If you’re planning to get a new tattoo and remove an old one, wouldn’t it be simpler just to move the one you’ve got to the new location? Just a thought.

Classics: I recommend anything by Mark Twain and anything by Jane Austen. Start with Tom Sawyer and Persuasion 'cuz they’re my favorites. It’s also amusing to bracket these authors together because Mark Twain really hated Jane Austen and had several typically nasty and very amusing things to say about her books.

Random stuff: I would also like a tattoo in the small of my back and am toying with the idea of making such a tattoo my personal “lose 15 pounds” reward. However, I’ve heard that a tattoo in that spot really hurts. Maybe we should go together and egg each other on. Assuming that I actually lose the 15 pounds, of course.

The version of Hey Pretty on Haunted doesn’t have the spoken word. In fact, the spoken word part is an excerpt from her brother’s book “House of Leaves”. The whole album is tied in with it, most notably the songs “House of Leaves” and “5 1/2 minute hallway”. I’m reading the book now, and it’s pretty darn good, if very very weird. I also got them both to sign it when they came to town.
Haunted is also a concept album. It’s a conversation between Poe and her dead father, through samples of tapes he made and she found after his death. It’s her way of finally making peace with him.

Oh, and congrats on the toe-ring Sue. I too have long-skinny toes, but no plans for any rings on them. :slight_smile:

As to classics, I don’t like any of them that I’ve been told to read, so I can’t recommend any to you.

I’ve read these two books. I read Brave New World my 10th grade year, and The Great Gatsby this year (Junior) Great Gatsby was wonderful. Brave New World was good and odd, but kept your attention. Another good book that we read last year was Alas Babylon SO I also recommend that one :slight_smile:

Jenny*

I can only repeat my advice of above: tastes vary wildly. Go to a library and find what YOU like.

I, for instance, adore Dickens, Austen, Tiffany Thayer, Booth Tarkington, Harriet Beecher Stowe. Others hate 'em. Dopers here have recommended Twain, Swift, Joseph Heller, Melville—all of whom roll right off my knife. They aren’t bad writers—just not my cuppa tea.

So don’t worry about what you SHOULD be reading, or you’ll waste a lot of precious time ploughing through some book you hate. Go exploring and find authors YOU like.

I dunno…am I the only one here voting for Twain? Less thought involved (don’t need to reread to understand), yet still well written, a “ripping yarn” so to speak. Besides, he has enough short stories that you can sample and decide if you like his style before tackling, say, Huck Finn.

As for your other musings…toe rings are always great. And add me to the “pro” list for the tattoo…any tattoo in the small of the back is good for an instant erection!

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Dark Lord Davidson *
I don’t know where you’re located, but Hanging by a Moment is totally played out here…

[quote]

I live in San Jose. Admittedly, I listen to mostly children’s music so may have missed it for awhile. It’s pretty cookie-cutter, but I like it for now. It’s one of those songs that makes me wanna twirl around in the grass barefoot.

I think the spoken lyrics are what make it work. You’ve got this sort of naive guy talking about a wild-woman and then Poe comes in singing in her super-sexy, sorta devillish voice. I think it works beautifully.

I’m stunned that they come from her brother’s book yet fit so well.

There’s hope for me yet. I’ve read that AND Catch 22!

<Digging in his pocket, plnnr pulls out two pennies> Here’s my two cents:

Like you I thought that maybe I had missed out by not reading many of the “classics” of world literature. My solution - I went to a book store and bought an anthology and read through that. The works were by the writers widely regarded as the “greats” and it gave me a flavor of each of their styles. If someone in particular appealed to me I went to the library and started reading more of their work. If someone didn’t really appeal to me I figured that I had at least been exposed to their work. If you feel like you absolutely have to read Moby Dick, just because its supposed to be a classic of Western literature, you probably aren’t going to enjoy it as much as if you weren’t doing it out of a sense of responsibility. To find new writers I’ll go the the “New Fiction” section of the library and play “Writer’s Roulette.” I pick a book purely by random and stand there and read the first few pages. If I like it, I check it out and read it. If the book I pick is by someone I’ve already read, I put that book back and pick again.

People I’ve been reading heavily during the past year include Gore Dival (both his fiction and United States, his collected essays) and H. L. Mencken. Both have a very jaundiced view of humanity (Vidal much less so than Mencken)but both also have a wonderful way with language.

As to your other musings - I think well-tanned feet, with a good pedicure, in a pair of nice thong sandals, are one of the joys of summer. Add a toe ring and I’m liable to…well, I don’t know what I’m liable to do. But it isn’t a fetish or anything. I figure if a woman has enough self-awareness to take good care of her feet she’s got to be into keeping all the other pieces and parts of herself in top shape, too (including her brain - maybe she reads Mencken?). Besides, a well-placed kiss on a woman’s instep is a sure fire way to get the ball rolling.

Just got my first tattoo in the small of my back. It isn’t my daughter’s name, but my zodiac sign.

I’ll never look at Elmer Fudd the same way again. I wonder if he has tanned feet, a good pedicure, and a toe ring?

Can’t add anything about the music musings - I did just buy a remastered CD of Count Basie’s “April in Paris” that will knock your socks off. Nothing swings like a big 15 piece band.

Have a great summer, Sue. And don’t forget to throw in a little Sidney Sheldon for reading by the pool. Nothing says summer like some suntan lotion, a cold drink, and a trashy novel.

Here’s a couple more pennies, I think I went over .02.

The other day, when I was searching for lyrics from “Haunted” I came across this page:
http://members.fortunecity.com/fakeplastic/lyrics/poe-haunted_p.html

It has all of the spoken parts of the album written out, and helps to see the conversation in the album. Even though I have the album, it’s easier to understand with it all written out.

And, if you’re in a real hurry to have read the classics, try here:

http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/classics.shtml