I would like to take up bicycling... any advice?

Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

Wow, you don’t do things halfway, do you?

Cool bike! Congratulations!

No body mentioned a chain and lock. How come?

Man, is my ass sore!

Er… from all the bicycling, that is! :eek:

:wink:

Spent some time yesterday and this morning getting distances and times to various places that I’ll take the bike to - home-to-work, home-to-grocery, home-to-convenience store (for those all-important “My Wife needs chocolate - stat!” trips), etc.

Eh, it’s just how I am about some things - if I don’t have enough of an investment in them, I won’t take it all that seriously. In other words, if I had given “purchasing the bike” a half-assed effort, getting something off the rack at Walmart, then I would feel more likely give the rest of it a half-assed effort as well. We all gotta work within ourselves, you know. :wink:

FWIW that is what drove to spend $800 on my first bike all those many years ago. I was afraid if I didn’t spend a chunk I would give it up with no guilt.
Three bikes later I’m still riding. :smiley:

Lock your bike up real good. Mine was stolen today.

I’m getting better at this… yesterday, rode 6 miles without really feeling it (as opposed to when I started, where I was huffin’ and puffin’ at about 2 miles).

Sorry about your bike, Zebra. :frowning:

See, I would tend to go the other way.

“It costs how much to get started in this sport?” would instantly convince me I’ll never get started riding, running, swimming, whatever. I’m a very strong believer in “just do it”. If spending $1,000 on a bike is what it takes, do it. If spending $100 on a walmart special gets you going, do it.

Congrats to JohnT for getting started and getting excited about it. I really wish you happy riding.

My contribution to your riding adventure is this: Ride like you are invisible (translation: ride very defensively). Never assume a car, motorcycle or anyone else sees you and you’ll be much safer. There are hundreds of tricks to riding safe, from proper lighting to proper signaling, but realizing you are not nearly as visible as you might think is probably the best way to stay out of the hospital.

::: Shrug::: different strokes for different folks I guess.
Tomorrow is 25 miles of hill climbing on my road bike before breakfast.

The irony is that, objectively speaking, a bike probably has better visibility than a car. It’s a psychological thing: People get used to seeing cars, so they don’t notice anything else.

How do you figure? A bike is a lot smaller than a car, for a start.

I’m surprised this thread is so recent. I just bought a bicycle yesterday. Hadn’t owned one in almost 15 years. I need to drop about 40 lbs. and I loathe jogging.

I went with the Trek 7.2. I went to the LBS a few blocks from my house (can you get any more local than “Joe’s Bike Shop”?) I felt a little bit like the guy was preying on my naïveté, but I tested the bike and liked it a lot. I upgraded to a gel seat, as I knew immediately that the stock hard leather one would destroy my nethers. With the bike, helmet, seat (at a discount), and bike lock, I ponied up $761, which is around what I expected to pay.

So I rode home and around the very hilly park near my house, and I never realized how exhausting riding a bike as an adult is. After about an hour, I went home, soaked in sweat and ready to pass out. I’m sure my endurance will pick up more if I keep with it.

Is there a book anyone can recommend for the amateur rider who is doing it for exercise and fun? Reading The Conqueror Worm’s posts upthread, I know I’m doing a few things wrong.

Agent: The Big Book of Bicycling

They’re also taller than most cars, though (at least, including the rider).

Agent Foxtrot, the combination of “hilly park” and “got tired quickly” leads me to suspect that you were in an inappropriate gear. Next outing, go someplace flat, and just practice using the shifters.

Generally, what you want to go for is a gear that gives you a rapid pedaling cadence with little force applied to the pedals. You should pedal at a rate and pedal pressure that you feel you can keep up all day. This isn’t always possible on hills, but even there you should try to pedal in the easiest gear and fastest cadence that will still keep you moving. Depending on your fitness level, the gearing of your bike and the steepness of the hill, you may even have to get off and walk your bike up on occasion.

Here are links to a couple of excellent sites on cycliing:

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/skills/index.htm

Note: Neither link goes to the site’s home page. I just linked to the pages I did because they have info for beginners. There is lots of other good info to be found throughout both sites though and it would be a good idea to browse through them from time to time to pick up more info as you become more knowledgeable about biking.

+1 on Sheldon. He’s the man.

Reading Sheldon now. I see now I was totally using incorrect gears yesterday.

JohnT, I wish I had known about that book before buying my bike. Oh well. At least I’ll know how to adjust it properly for me. :slight_smile:

By the way, Sheldon gives a run-down of leather saddles and why he likes them. The Trek 7.2 I bought came with a Bontrager H1 leather saddle which felt uncomfortable in my test ride, so I switched it out for a gel saddle. Did I make a mistake? Should I have tried to break in the stock saddle? I tried to find reviews on the Bontrager H1 saddle, but Google turned up nothing. Advice?