Icarus, the baby house sparrow (photos!)

It says the video was removed by user… I wanna see! :slight_smile:

This is such a feel-good story. Thanks for sharing.

He’s so sweet! Him and his “mom” ::melts

So what’s the scoop on Icarus?

^ Ditto.

Bump: has he flown the nest yet?

I wonder if the cat ate the canary…err sparrow.

Damnit! We Need Updates!

Hey everyone!! So sorry I haven’t updated you in a while, I didn’t realize people had bumped the thread.

Well yes, Icarus has “flown the nest.” Here’s what happened… We stated putting him in the front window every day (just a few feet from where his original nest was), but with the screen closed so he wouldn’t fall out. He would sit on the windowsill all day, looking outside at the other birds, listening to them sing, and singing back. He LOVED looking out the window, he would get really excited and looked like he wanted to go outside so badly.

During this time, for about a period of a week, he learned to fly on his own. He started taking short flights around the room, and his trips started getting longer and longer and his skills were getting better and better. He loved to fly and got really good at it! I was so proud! :smiley:

Anyway, after a few days in the window, a female house sparrow heard his chirping and started coming to the window to visit him. She would perch on the outside of the window or hang onto the screen and they would get so excited to see each other. We think it is probably his mother! It was so cute to watch them.

Anyway, finally one morning the female bird kept coming to visit, so we decided open the screen a bit and see if she would come in, or if Icarus would venture out. After about 30 minutes, Icarus took the leap and flew out the window and into a tree!!! He spent the afternoon flying from tree to tree and the female sparrow and a couple other sparrow kept following him around, like they were looking out for him.

Sadly, I had to go out of town later that day and was gone until the following night. But my boyfriend kept watch for him. The next day I walked around and looked for him and called for him but am not sure if any of the birds I saw were him… so unfortunately I can’t say for sure what happened to him or if he stuck around… but in my heart I feel sure that he is out there somewhere, healthy happy and free!

I can’t believe how much that little guy stole my heart. He was simply precious and I still miss him so much! I will never forget him. I love him so much!

Here’s an entry from my blog about Icarus with photos (basically the same photos that were on that other page I posted).

Thank you guys for following along with Icarus’ progress. :wink:

That’s aMAZing! You did a fantastic job raising him. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I’ve heard that it’s pretty difficult if they’re that young, (as he was when you found him) to keep them alive.

He’s darling too.

Thank you! I am so glad that everything went OK because I would have been heartbroken if he didn’t make it. But it was obvious that he was a real fighter, so that made it easy. I miss him a lot but he belongs outside with his friends and family. I had such a fun time with him!

Very late to this thread but I wanted to say well done nyctea scandiaca. I raised a female sparrow, Perchy the killer sparrow, about 20 years ago when I lived country New South Wales. If you were wondering why the name Killer, she was very protective of me and if anyone came near she would thrust her head forward with beak open and make a hissing sound. She actually looked quite fierce.

She would come for walks with me perched on my shoulder and at times fly off into the trees but would always come back late afternoon when I called. One day about nine months later she didn’t come home and I was heartbroken. I like to think she found happiness in the wild and didn’t end up a casualty of the boy with the slug gun who lived across the road.

Hey! Don’t scare me like that!

I’ve really enjoyed the tale of Icarus. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow! I hope the bird is well. I’ll admit it, I’m a softie for animals. May the heavens rain candy upon you for this good deed.

Yay! This has been such a great story to follow.

Jastu, what a neat story! Perchy probably found a husband and went off to raise a faily. I wish I had been able to spend more time with Icarus.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. It was been great being able to share this story with you all.

I’ve really enjoyed reading about Icarus and seeing all the cute pictures…what a great job you did!

:>

Happy ending! Yay!

Sailboat