ICE plans to deport immigrants on student visas if their schools convert to online classes

It’s not even pretense. That’s exactly what he’s doing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-08/harvard-and-mit-sue-ice-to-halt-new-student-visa-guidelines

It’s not about the university, it’s about an individual student’s course load. A foreign student must have at least one face to face course.

Maybe, or certainly the President could. But they wont. The director of ICE is a trump appointee.

Thomas Homan - Wikipedia.

As ICE director, Homan has voiced opposition to illegal immigration and support for strong illegal immigration enforcement… He also voiced support for passing Kate’s Law… and ending sanctuary cities…
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017, President Donald J. Trump nominated Homan for ICE Director…

In February 2018, Homa**n said that politicians who support sanctuary city policies should be charged with crimes."

read the thread.

I had no idea that foreign students are illegal immigrants. Maybe someone should ask him why he allowed them in as students in the first place.

what isnt true?

Yes, sometimes a student taking online courses is taking face to face courses as well.

Yes, they should make a exception here, I agree- but how does that make my post false?

Yes, and they should extend that exemption. But they dont have to do so. If they dont, then that’s the law, sadly.

The exception to this rule has been in place since spring. There is no reason it could not have remained in place. No one is forcing them to revoke the current ruling placing the exception.

Yes, that would be great.

(for the record, I find the quote function here challenging).

This is the part that’s not true, which my post was directly addressing (italics mine).

You are raising a strawman argument. I’m not saying they can’t enforce this rule. I’m saying enforcing it is misguided and counterproductive. That’s what the majority of this thread is about.

No, I didnt say that. I said it is the law, and Trump could fix it with a executive order.

He also could call the head of ICE and ask him to extend the exemption.

But barring that sort of stuff, it is the law.

what is needed is a exemption, and any decent caring person would grant it. However, the two people that could are not decent or caring.

Absolutely, and they should extend the exemption. Any decent human being would do so.

But they are not making a new law here to screw over the students. They are just enforcing the law already on the books.

They could and should extent the exemption.

My point was is that they are not making a new law here.

what law are you referring to?

Absolutely, enforcing it is misguided and counterproductive. We are in complete agreement. But others have said that this is a new rule made up by ICE. Not a new rule. Old law.

read the thread.

what are your opinions on this?

I read the thread.
What law are you talking about?

But you’re replying to me, and I’m not saying that.

Plus, the part that you were incorrect about had nothing to do with the rule, but the circumstances on which a foreign student taking online courses would still need to be in the US. You haven’t acknowledged that.

Also, it’s a rule, not a law.

My opinion is that people shouldn’t confuse rules and laws…especially after being corrected on it more than once.

Y[quote=“IvoryTowerDenizen, post:97, topic:914565, full:true”]
But you’re replying to me, and I’m not saying that.

Plus, the part that you were incorrect about had nothing to do with the rule, but the circumstances on which a foreign student taking online courses would still need to be in the US. You haven’t acknowledged that.

Also, it’s a rule, not a law.
[/quote]

Acknowledge that a foreign student can take some online classes? Sure. I agreed.

It’s the Code of Federal Regulations, which is all backed by US Code. The difference is moot.

Then there should be no problem with using the correct term, right?

No, that’s not what I’m saying.

I quoted you directly in my reply to the post in which you asked “what part of my post was false”, so beyond that I’m sure I can clarify any further.

You seem to like saying “read the thread”, so I suggest you “read my replies to you” for clarity.