Iconic but awful

I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed that.

My take was, “this is the legacy of Cpt. Miller. He gave his life to make the world safe so that Pvt Ryan could pass on his big-boob genes. And the world rejoiced!” If Spielberg had a different point to the movie, I missed it.

Jeez, I have to go back and watch this movie again (or at least the opening sequence)! :heart_eyes:

You’re telling me!

It may LITERALLY be thematic though. Iirc Ryan literally tells a story later on about dressing a woman at his clothes shop who’s boobs were so big she burst out of every top. Maybe Ryan married that woman after the war.

…Holy shit I think Spielberg is a genius!

That was a different character. I think it was the Jewish soldier.

Holy shit! Spielberg has a crazy, weird boob fixation! What are the chances of that??!!!

Sorry. I have to come back to this. Anyone who can watch Saving Private Ryan and dismiss it because there are women with big tits in it is. . . fixated on big tits? I am speaking as a woman with big tits and, well, we are here we are really here get used to it.

It was Reiben, the one with “Brooklyn” on his jacket.

He’s a heterosexual male, so about 99.5%

Before this gets out of hand, I didn’t “dismiss” the movie because of Ryan’s grand daughters’ ‘assets’. I just noted that, like the William Goldman quote, it was odd way to begin a movie. It wasn’t random casting; it was a deliberate choice by the director. It may have been subconscious. But there it is.

I don’t actually dismiss the movie at all. I like it, I own it. But it has it’s problems.

Yeah, I understand your point but my point, as a big tittied woman, is you noticing them and Spielberg putting them in is about as remarkable as blondes and thicc girls. We are here. We are not weird. Enjoy the movie.

As I understand it, it was rural viewers who liked these shows, and CBS wanted more urban viewers.

Strangely enough, a couple of years later, The Waltons (another iconic show that I consider, at best, less than watchable) premiered on CBS. However, it tested well with urban viewers, so it passed that bar.

IIRC the boy described being awestruck at the sight of this woman.

And I think she knew he was going off to war, and said something like, when you’re afraid, think of me/them.

I thought it was thoughtful and insightful.

According to Wikipedia, the network wanted to appeal to a younger adult urban demographic to appease the advertisers. You know, the people who actually funded the television shows. As much as I liked those shows, not that I was alive when they first aired, it seems like it was a good decision as a lot of good shows aired on CBS following the purge. And, Jesus Christ, My Three Sons was on until 1972? I don’t think I’ve ever seen an episode of it in color.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a complete episode of The Waltons. For whatever reason, nobody in my house watched it.

I watched the entire series. Only because there weren’t many other options back then.

Yeah. Some of the later seasons (with William Demerest) were shown in syndication, but mostly the ones with the three boys (Robbie, Chip and Ernie) still at home. The later seasons, with Robbie married and Chip living with his girlfriend, I don’t recall seeing all that much. YMMV.

Ah, CBS and the rural purge. Not only was I a rural viewer in the 60s, we only got CBS (we had one craptastic antenna and didn’t get a good one until sometime in the early 70s. Madison channel 3 that was it. And our TV didn’t get UHF, it was that old.)

And even so I HATED Green Acres, wasn’t that enthused with Petticoat Junction, was mildly bored with Andy Griffith. I think I liked Gomer Pyle and the Beverly Hillbillies, though. Go figure.

As a farmer, I thought GA was just Hollywood not understanding anything east of San Bernadino. Only later did I learn it was supposed to be absurdist. I still don’t like it, but now I understand it.

Getting Bob Newhart and MTM and Hawaii 5-0 was a godsend. Getting them was almost as good as getting NBC and ABC later.

My sister always wanted to live in the small town environment she grew up in (I couldn’t wait to get out of it). She finally moved to a little rural community, into a big old farmhouse that had been vacant for a number of years. Before they could move in they had a bunch of renovations that needed to be done (not that HGTV stuff, but mundane things like replacing the septic tank and fixing holes in the roof). I visited her and asked how things were going and whether they were going to be able to move in on schedule. She looked me in the eye and said “We call our contractor Mr. Haney”. It told me everything I needed to know.

I’m a big fan of absurdist humor which is why I love Green Acres so much. And Arnold was so charming too.

Though to this day, I still love the idea of the Pore Key.

For those who may not remember, The Waltons was actually a follow-up (spinoff?) of a made-for-TV movie called The Homecoming that aired around Thanksgiving 1972, IIRC. It scored very high with viewers all over the country. I remember one girl in my high school class raving about The Homecoming, saying “It was so good, and not at all violent.”

It may have been a reaction against all the violence that was on TV at the time (mostly detective and cop shows) and inspired the family-friendly “hugs-and-lessons” shows that followed (like Little House on the Prairie).