I'd like some BBQ sauce recipe inspiration please

I should think so! :dubious:

Don’t know what it is, but somehow jerk rubs and seasonings just don’t thrill me. Maybe it’s the allspice. But I know I’d chomp down a bunch of meat with a Korean BBQ spin.

Marinade it for three days in a Pyrex dish in your fridge? Perforate the meat like the number “5” on dice with 5 toothpicks & cover the dish with plastic wrap (the toothpicks keep the plastic off of the meat).
Next, determine what proportions you want of which dry spices to which dry spices you’d like to use as your rub. Make a large batch the morning of the BBQ, keeping the proportions the same.

Shortly before cooking, remove the meat from the Pyrex and dredge it thoroughly in a large bowl with the dry rub. The marinade will make it stick. Then take it out to grill & slow cook it as you like it.

Sure, this is over-kill. Marinating for 3 days should be enough. The dry rub should be enough. Still, why go with the crowd? :smiley:

For the record, the pulled pork I was making came out well-textured and juicy, but bland, because this was my first time using the sous-vide and I didn’t use a big enough pot so the water boiled off overnight and the bag popped and water got in.

The mustard sauce, however, is delicious and will provide amply for months to come.

I feel like I’m missing some sort of joke or something here. Help?

No joke, cloves are very potent, and at the rick of offending the person who suggested it, I can not imagine putting cloves in barbecue sauce.

It’s really not all that odd, in my experience. You should try it. For pork, I find a smidge of cloves quite perfect.

I ended up making an east NC style sauce, a Korean BBQ style sauce and a habanero-garlic-lime sauce I improvised that came out really good- it was a hit with my guests! I was going to make a mustard sauce too but I just ran out of time. I’ll have to try the mustard next time.

Here’s my habanero-garlic-lime sauce recipe if anybody’s interested- I didn’t pay much attention to amounts so you’re on your own there: I diced up a habenero pepper and several cloves of garlic, cooked in some olive oil until softened up. Mixed that with some Asian rice vinegar and puréed in a blender. Then back into the pan, added one small can of tomato paste, a few generous splashes of soy sauce and enough apple juice to make about 2 cups worth. Ground up some black peppercorns, allspice and dried thyme leaves, threw them in, cooked on low to medium heat a little longer. took off the heat, squeezed and mixed in juice of 1-2 limes. I also added a few drops of Dave’s Insanity Sauce, because the habanero alone just wasn’t spicy enough for me. It had a lot in common with a jerk marinade but didn’t taste like it, probably because the tomato gave it a different spin.

Using cloves is an intriguing idea- I’ll have to try that next time.