ideas for frozen (microwaveable) lunches? preferable somewhat healthy?

The casserole idea is a *definite *thumbs-up, since most of the cooking is hands-off, and it slices into squares for the fridge/freezer nicely. wanders off to Google ideas Thanks! :slight_smile:

I did a turkey and dressing meatloaf once that I liked (but I don’t think anyone else did).

Basically, I used ground turkey, gravy, and stuffing, plus an egg, celery, sage, etc. and made a meatloaf.

I don’t actually recommend mashed potatoes as a side. I guess because they contain a lot of moisture, they are a magnet for all the heating and they’ll be steaming hot while everything else in the dish is still cold. You’ll have to cook everything twice as long and then wait twice as long to be able to eat the mashed potato portion without burning yourself. I say no mashed potatoes.

Unless my microwave is unusual there? Maybe it just really hates mashed potatoes.

I’ve found that rice pilafs with diced vegies in them freeze exceptionally well. I don’t see any reason you can’t mix some diced rotisserie chicken or crumbled cooked Italian sausage or little whole cooked shrimp in with a freshly-cooked vegie pilaf, then divide that into serving sizes and freeze them. You can even vary the protein additions so that your individual servings are all a little different.

This isn’t frozen, although from your description I think it might work. Basically it’s made at home ramen noodle soup. Just better. I’ve mad a couple and they are really far above what you think of ramen noodles.

These look pretty good, though I’d add some 90/10 ground beef or shredded chicken. I like meat.

I am in love with you and those people and everything. What a fantastic idea.

I need to get some of those pots.
ETA: Two other ideas:

Cottage pie. Especially if you have little ramekins where you can bake them, then cool, put a lid on, and freeze. I have some Anchor Hocking ones I got at Target that work.

Chili with cornbread lids. Same deal. Make a chili, put in a ramekin, top with cornbread batter, bake, cool, lid, and freeze.

I would braise a big hunk 'o protein with whatever means you have available (crockpot, dutch oven, pressure cooker) with minimal seasoning, then put different sides and seasoning each day. I.E., a large whole chicken (pork shoulder, whatever) cooked with chopped onion and celery , then shred/debone it. Use some for chicken salad, some with noodles (with a quick sauce) and veg, some with taco seasoning, some with curry. Keep an assortment of quick or frozen vegetables to add to your lunches. Do all this on Sunday afternoon and you have lunch all week.

Also, do you have a muffin pan? There are a million recipes out there for neat things you can bake in these (like meatloaf or mini pot pies), make 2 different varieties a week, then throw three or four of your “muffins” in your lunch bag every day with a piece of fruit.

No one wants to smell microwaved fish all afternoon.

You can buy tupperware-styleplates with compartments and a cover. They’re nifty.

However, I agree that it’s a PITA to cook meat and veggie sides together without the veggies getting overdone.

A tip if you’re going to do this: When you get into work in the morning, put your frozen meal in the microwave for ~1 minute, then leave out at room temperature. By the time lunch rolls around, the food should be mostly thawed but still cold and will reheat much more evenly. Play around with the timing, as long as the meal is a little bit icy still, it’s still well below the danger zone and it’s safe to keep out of the fridge. If it’s completely defrosted before lunch, just throw it in the fridge to keep cool.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

IOW, that sounds really good (but I am probably also the only one who would like it). :wink:

You come over, I fix! :smiley:

I don’t have any specific suggestions, but have you tried Googling ‘single serving freezer meals’?

I have a sneaking suspicion that there’s a big-ass puddle of water between us, so I may just have to try it on my own, and let Him Indoors fix something preferable for himself. That’s how we eat a lot of the time anyway. :wink: