Ideas to make the SDMB profitable

I’m glad someone agrees with me on this. To reiterate my point above, there are a lot of people who would be willing to donate money to support a free service that they like, even if they aren’t willing to pay a fee for that service. At least, that’s always been my experience.

Well, I’ve heard it said that the owners of the more popular web comics make enough to support themselves just from merchandise sales and advertising. If the sale of Straight Dope merchandise could cover even a significant portion of one person’s salary, that seems like a meaningful contribution.

Agreed, but as I asked above, are we talking about supporting the SD’s running costs, or helping CL out of bankruptcy? I’d guess there’s a big difference between what the two need.

I agree…PBS is the right model.
There’s nothing wrong with openly and proudly stating that it costs money to provide a great service.

Why can’t the worlds smartest human being and his staff fight our ignorance about the financial side of this website?
Why the secrecy? Yes, I know that Cecil(or Ed, Jerry, whoever) doesn’t own the place, and that since Creative Loafing is a private business they have a right to make a profit and keep a few details private. But if they make any money, I assume that it’s not on this web site–it’s from their other businesses. Those can remain private.

Let a certified accounting company audit the costs of operating this board,* and post it publicly for all of us to see. State proudly “it costs us $1,000 each month. We need your help.” And see how generous we Dopers can be.
*just this board, no need to reveal any other parts of Creative Loafing’s business

Yeah, I don’t know if they have a particular goal in mind for how much they’d like to be making off the SDMB – but I’m sure any increase in revenue would be welcome. Like you said, every little bit helps.

I’ve always felt that putting up a side bar bit of advertising for the members who have Ebay or Etsy kinda shops which for a daily or weekly fee, could have their auctions and home sales receive more visits than average, thereby increasing sales.

$10-$25 for a fee ( the lower for a one day sale ad. $25 for the week, as an example.) with a click thru linky goodness, could be a win-win for everyone.

I agree! I strongly advocate editing the “Ask the…” threads! They have enough content to sustain multiple editions and they fulfill the Straight Dope’s brand promise of “Fighting Ignorance.”

I’m an art director/designer with publishing experience. If the powers that be like the idea, I’m willing to donate my design and layout services.

Lots of good suggestions and I don’t have anything much to add, except I’d gladly chip in a few bucks for an annual fundraising drive, and I want swag. Merchandise. Toys that show the world I’m Proud To Be A Doper.