If a product has a wanted feature that can't be pirated, it'll succeed.

I’m not quite sure what the OP is looking for in examples that prove or disprove the point. There are numerous early personal computers with unique features that failed under the onslaught of DOS-based systems.

Beta videocassettes not only outperformed VHS, they were smaller. But Phillips outmarketed Sony and VHS became the standard.

WordPerfect, Bank Street Writer, et al, had loyal users and features that Microsoft Word didn’t, but Microsoft simply buried the competition.

A LOT of products fail, for a LOT of different reasons. Very few of those reasons look like “piracy.” Just off the top of my head, I can’t think of any product that failed SOLELY because of piracy. Gozu, do you have any examples in mind?

One failing product that was not vulnerable to piracy would be the Laser Disc. This offered a number of features that, at the time, were definitely “wanted”, and it could not be pirated. Still, a product failure.

I have only taken it out from part of the equation. The un-pirateable part does not have to be the main part of the product.

The distinction I draw between said part and a product that cannot be pirated is that the un-pireatable part cannot be a product by itself.

All these failed because of competition, not piracy. Miller made this point earlier and I answered it.

VHS was created by JVC. Philips’s format was Video 2000.

Beta was not better that VHS in one very important feature. Length of recording time.

Well, because of piracy, PC games disappeared in the 80s and now the only way to play videogames is on consoles :slight_smile:

Seriously though, that’s a good question. I’ve been trying to think of one but I can’t either. Maybe someone else will.

Are you saying that piracy may have indirectly Killed Laser Disc it by making VHS more appealing to customers?

Laserdisc was not a product failure; it had a niche market, and it succeeded there.

Well, you’ve already defined away any product that did fail as not “Wanted”, therefore I’ll assume you’re looking for a product that succeeded despite being piratable, in which case Doom II should suffice.

Phillips invented the audio cassette (“Compact Cassette”), not VHS video cassette.