[If] McIlroy loses US Open - biggest choke in pro sports history?

And there wasn’t a 2-0 lead, either. The scoring went (USSR, USA) 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4.

Manchester United beat Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League Final. The final. Bayern were winning 1-0 up until injury time (that’s the bit of time, usually 2-3 minutes, added at the end to make up for stoppages during the game proper). In injury time Manchester United score two goals and win the game.

I’ve never seen anything like it.

Similarly, the Liverpool-Arsenal match in 1989, that was featured in the film “Fever Pitch”:

I know exactly where I was watching both games. I’ll never forget them.

There is also the AC Milan-Liverpool, Champions League final.

Milan were 3-0 up and cruising, no way back right?

wrong!

He just pooched it into the wall. He had a substantial lead and could have coasted in for the win, but when he came up on traffic in the last turn he went out too wide, got into the marbles, and lost it into the wall. All he had to do was slow down and wait until he was out of the turn or was in a better position to pass within the turn.

It’s a cliche to say it was a typical rookie mistake, but in this case it’s exactly what it was. And yet, he still finished second and only lost by around 150-200 feet (the field freezes when the yellow comes out). Had they thrown the yellow flag immediately (which they should have done) he still would have won.

I’m not that familiar with the details of the game DKW. What did the Soviet coach do that was so stupid?

Thanks - !

He’s probably talking about the Soviets pulling the starting goalie and putting in the back-up. That happened when the Americans equalized it at 2.

OK, thank you.