If people of Spanish descent are "people of color" why aren't Italians?

Pre-war Argentina was also a much more attractive place tor Europeans to emigrate to than the rest of Latin American. It had one of the top economies in the world at the turn of the 20th century.

Unsurprising given it’s where this hummingbirdis found.

That bird is mostly green.

I met a Salvadorian (person from El Salvador) who was pale enough to pass as Irish. Latin America is enormously diverse. In some areas, most people are a "brown"ish mix of many races, in some areas people are 95% European, and in other areas, people are so black that you would think you were in Detroit except for the fact that everything is in Spanish.

In GODFATHER III, Andy Garcia was the logical choice to play Michael Corleone’s nephew, because Al Pacino had recently starred as Tony Montana.

That sentence kinda got away from me there.

That said, I was just mentioning in another thread that Oscar Isaac just earned a Golden Globe for playing a Polish-American mayor after a long career spent playing this Brit and that Frenchman and the occasional Russian, and, sure, the occasional immigrant from Colombia, but also a famous Jewish carpenter, and so on.

Sigh…yes… yes it is. It is a green bird.

with a Hitler mustache! I spent 10 minutes in ms paint on that damn thing

You think everyone in Ireland is pale? I’m always surprised at how people think everyone in Ireland has red hair and freckles and that everyone in Spain has dark hair and olive skin.

A mustache below the mouth? That’s something new!

Because the “image of brown skin”–the Other color–isn’t really about actual skin tones at all.

Correct.

Nope. Not everywhere, by a long shot.

I think Irish people have pretty much made the transition successfully, in America. I’m not sure that any other group has.

Germans? Eastern Asians? Jews? Poles?

“Pardo” is the usual equivalent term.

Where? I can’t recall hearing it in Panama.

Pardo.

To my knowledge (but I’d be interested in sources to the contrary), Germans have always been white in America, though the ethnic divide from English was a significant early one.

I have the sense that some Slavic peoples would still be recognized on the non-white side, but I don’t know where that falls in historic and geographic terms. South of the Carpathians?

East Asians and Jews have never been white, obviously.

That would depend on how popular black beans are in a particular area. Don’t try to get someone born within 250km of Tolosa to use anything but black or red (never pinto, mantequilla or white). But then, if you ever are in Tolosa and there’s black beans in the menu, any choice other than the evidently and absolutely obvious one will be considered strange :slight_smile: Eating black beans in Tolosa counts as a pilgrimage, and you’re not even required to walk there.

We call it alubias con arroz, though: the* moros y cristianos* name is from the same places which have moros y cristianos fiestas.

Are Jews not considered “white” in present-day America?

Certainly not by everyone. Some here probably think they are, given that some Jews can pass (i.e., not be readily recognized as Jewish), and antisemitism is largely out of fashion in the educated and liberal circles that many Dopers inhabit. But even difficulty in identifying a race-box to assign someone to does not preclude the desire, as I’ve observed more than once.

Is anyone who is discriminated against “not white”, Peremensoe?

If that’s the case then there are no whites.

It would be a tiny minority in the US who did not consider a Jewish person to be white.