If someone told you a decade ago that...

Canada would invade the United States and win. (hey, we don’t have to tell the people of the past the truth, let’s just freak them out.)

…that it’s still unacceptable to say “fuck” or “shit” or show breasts on TV.
…that a interactive and more democratic form of media would arise with millions of terminals worldwide where it’s okay to say or show what you want.
…that I would use that form of media to rant on pointlessly on some thread for nostalgic people who don’t realize that if someone told you this a decade ago you probably would call him a crazed idiot (not to mention I would probably not care; I was 6 a decade ago) and that time travel is physically impossible.
…that people would actually buy disposable cameras.
…that a worldwide communist revolution would sweep the capitalistic governments out of power and institute the Internationale (oh wait, still waiting on that one :slight_smile: ).

If you’d told me 10 years ago that I’d one day be a vegetarian I would’ve laughed so hard my double cheeseburger woulda come out my nose.

The other thing that blows me away is that Palm commercial from last year where the lady BEAMS her phone number to the guy in the next train. I STILL don’t believe that – that’s Jetsons type stuff, man.

…I would be divorced, I would have laughed, because I wasn’t even married yet. (Unfortunately, both came true).

I’m actually amazed at this one myself. Yeah, they obligatorily played it at every New Years party, but I didn’t have to suffer through it as much as I thought.

… that the PC would become an indispensable tool in the home, as opposed to a toy for gamers and hobbyists.
… that this “World Wide Web” thing would really take off (outside big universities/institutions, that is).
… I would be married.
… I would compete in, and enjoy, triathlons.
… the Space Station would actually be built.
… my parents would have email.

• A very strange new series (X-files) would become one of the most popular dramas ever.
  • Richard Bachman’s book “The Running Man” would come true.
  • the high school geeks would be the most successful members of the graduating class.
  • I would be replacing my extensive tape collection with cd’s.
  • I would be paying $475 a month for a one-bedroom apartment and consider it a bargain.
  • I would consider finding a house for $125 000 an unbelievable steal (or that I would consider buying a house at all).
  • I would be 35 years old and still not know what I want to be when I grow up.

I think in the 60’s we called them hip huggers.

Tell the happy little housewife, PTA president and Brownie leader that she’d be divorced in a particularly public and nasty way and go on to mend her broken heart and be involved with a handgun competition-shooting computer geek 8 years her junior.
Gotta LOVE life!

That the Mexican Invasion would turn parts of Kalifornia to a 3rd world country.

…my favorite TV show would be a cartoon about a talking sponge, I’d have laughed my butt off.

-we still don’t have flying cars
-The Simpsons would still be on TV and still going strong
-Jim Carrey would be nominated for a Best Actor award more than once (hasn’t won yet, but still…)

• That Eddie Murphy’s flailing career would be revived with family oriented films, such as *Mulan[/n], Dr. Doolittle, Shrek, and his biggest comeback hit would be a remake of a Jerry Lewis film.

• John Travolta would also stage a comeback, get Oscar-nominated and become one of Hollywood’s A-list actors and get $20 million a movie (let’s disregard his current downward trend and just focus on the big comeback here).

• that the Atlanta Braves, never rising higher then 5th place from 1985-1990, would become THE National League team of the 90s and would win their division every year from 1991-2000, except 1994 when they came in 2nd.

• a shortstop would get a $250 million contract to play baseball.

…CBS would make an absolute mess of their Winter Olympics coverage in '98 (not '94, my bad) by focusing obsessively on “the stories”, which is what “women” tuned into sports for. They obsessed on these so much that they had almost no time for the actual events.

…major league baseball would be crippled by a players’ strike, at a time when at least four players were challenging the single-season home run record, for causes that few people other than the principles could even understand, much less care about, and nothing at all would be settled, and the entire remainder of the season would be cancelled.

…digitized sound, stunningly realistic 3D graphics, and motion sensors would become commonplace on arcade games.

…flag burning, something associated mainly with Vietnam-era protests, would become a hot-button issue. Several times.

…a Michigan-based bookstore chain featuring an enormous variety of printed materials would become as ubiquitous as McDonalds. And they’d not only allow you to sit and read as long as you wanted before buying, they’d put chairs out to encourage you to do so.

…computer technology would advance to the point where anyone could paint a picture, compose and play music, create cartoons and music videos, and publish a book via computer.

…a weird game show about surviving in a wilderness and voting the other members off would be a ratings blockbuster for CBS and generate headlines nationwide.

…that CDs would take over tapes. I distinctly remember thinking CDs would never take off.

But my dad remembers thinking the Beatles would never be big.

I still think I’m right about digital cameras though. And DVDs…

<slight hijack>

“Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons” - Popular Machanics, 1949

“640k of RAM ought to be enough for anybody” – Bill Gates, 1980

</slight hijack>

• That it’d be fashionable to have pants that you literally have to hold up manually to keep them falling below your knees.

• Half the world would despise a certain rapper because he says, “hate gays? The answer’s yes”.
    And I know this isn’t from a decade ago, but it’s pretty funny to hear these days:

“Everything that can be invented, has been invented” - Invention Agency, circa 1900 (before TV, radio, CDs, computers, air conditioning, electric trains or mobile phones).

Which one is this?

My guess would be South Park.

…the biggest sports story of 2000 involved women’s soccer.

…that the Giants had actually managed to build a beautiful new park. (They lost voter referenda several times before finding a way to finance the park privately.)

Nope, wouldn’t have believed either.

On the other hand, I have watched The Simpsons since the very beginning (I was in sixth grade) and I would have had no trouble believing that it would still be on eleven years later.