If we went all Jenner on vaccine research, how long would it take to develop one for use?

I’m uncomfortable offering time off prisoners’ sentences for participating in vaccine trials. It’s incredibly coercive, and if they can be deemed sufficiently rehabilitated/safe to reenter society in less time, then that’s when they should be released, regardless of whether they’re willing to be our guinea pigs. I’m not necessarily opposed to allowing prisoners to participate at all, especially because they’re at such great risk from the virus itself. But we have to ensure they are making the choice knowingly and willingly, not under duress.

These ethical considerations can easily be avoided by simply paying people to participate in a vaccine trial. This already happens when they trial flu vaccines and then give a dose of the virus.

In London, with its large student population, this has long been a useful way of earning extra cash.

Corvid-19, given is riskier, there no established drug treatments. If a volunteer becomes seriously ill all that can be done is to alleviate the symptoms using oxygen and ventilators. There is no 100% cure. Deliberate exposure to the virus could be fatal.

On the other hand large Phase 3 clinical trials and involve waiting for people to be exposed to virus in the community. These delays can be translated into deaths worldwide as the COVID-19 pandemic progresses.

The time can be shortened by deliberate exposure to volunteers during the trial, which would require far fewer participants.

Here some experts discuss it.

Here is a more digestible report hot off the press.

Four in China…

Somehow, I doubt whether there has been much time spent in China considering the ethical issues and this gives it a big advantage in this race.

Who will be first to develop a safe vaccine to save the world from Covid-19?

I am sure the political implications of this vaccine race are not lost on world leaders.

:dubious:

:eek:
Dear God, I hope there is no actual relation between the two.
(Is there a vaccine for the Kardashians).

I find the concept of “informed consent without coercion” from someone incarcerated in a prison an odious and politically convenient fairy tale.

This makes creating vaccines more difficult.

The original question in the OP was a “what if” thing, I was answering along those lines.

Coronaviruses, which come in many flavors, are notorious for mutating.

The scientists could come up with a perfectly safe vaccine for a specific type of COVID, and all the while the coronavirus is chortling with glee, mutating just beyond the ability of that vaccine.
~VOW

I seem to remember an interview with Professor SARAH GILBERT, Vaccinologist at Oxford University that suggests this Coronvirus mutates a lot, but rarely at the site targeted by vaccines.

UPDATE

The British it turns out, are proposing exactly that.

Gardeners of the United Kingdom, lock up your sons. :eek:

I’m not sure if this is related to the trials in the UK, but there’s a human challenge trial in the US as well. I remember watching some guy explain why he was taking part in it on the news a couple weeks ago.

By the time I read about it, the number of volunteers was much bigger, something like 16K, IIRC.

There are now over 25K volunteers from over 102 countries. 1day sooner.

Human challenge trials are low risk for young, fit participants. But volunteering to be exposed to the virus if you are older or have existing conditions, that is a different matter and represents a significant risk.

This seems to be the dilemma of these trials. You really want to test vaccines on the most vulnerable but the risks may be unacceptable. So you are back to relying on exposure arising within the community and the more successful the lockdowns and social distancings measures are, the less likley it is that a trial participant is exposed to the virus. If participants are never exposed to the virus during the trial the result of any vaccination would be inconclusive.

To get some prospect of community exposure, the trials require very high numbers of participants and long time frame.

It helps to find a place where Covid-19 is endemic. Where to do this? Exposed communities in countries with poor healthcare, where Covid-19 is probably out of control. We know that care homes for the elderly are particularly exposed.

A few candidate countries come to mind.

But it is not difficult to imagine the politics might be…challenging.

:frowning: