If you already have a PC, is there anything to be gained by getting a smart TV?

I went to the Roku website and Wiki and while it looks promising, I’m still not sure I understand how it work.

You buy the box, plug it into your TV and an Internet connection and then you get access to Roku’s content, some of which is free and some of which is premium? Is that it?

" I wouldn’t replace a perfectly good TV in order to get the Smart functions"
My TV is 14 years old so I don’t think it still qualifies as perfectly good.

I’ve been using a PC with my HDTV since day one and wouldn’t do it any other way, but that’s mainly because when I’m not using the DVR, I’m watching downloaded content. I just got a new set but I’ve not gotten around to setting it up yet and so-called ‘smart’ features weren’t even a consideration. In fact if I’d had the option to NOT get any, I would have.

The only use I have for them at all is for Amazon Prime (Netfux and Hulu can go fuck themselves) and for that I’ve use my ancient Roku player - the first one they ever marketed - which still works perfectly with it’s HDMI output.

Yeah but Chromecast works a little differently than the Roku or Smart tvs. Chromecast will stream whatever is running in your computer’s Chrome browser. So you have to start and stop your movies at the computer then the image streams to you tv. It works but it’s not as simple as the roku or built in options. Or the console options, either.

That’s it - mostly.

1. The Roku box will be connected to your tv via hdmi (ideally) or component cables (non-optimal but it works). Your DVR will also be connected by one of those. When you want to turn on Roku, you use the input source button on your TV remote to pick connection input you want to display. When you want to watch tv again, you set the source input to the DVR connection.

2. Setting up the Roku, you will need to set up an account on their website with your hardware’s model number and a passcode that it will supply on your tv. That way they will be able to keep track of your installed channels.

3. Download the apps you want and then sign into them with your username and password.

That’s it.

You download the apps you want to use, sign into them with your username and password, and then your