If you break/lose something, how much should you pay?

I gotta admit that’s one weird scenario E-Sabbath. I can’t imagine someone saying “Sorry you can’t have your borrowed camera back, my mother likes it too much.”

You’ve obviously not known many “dotty” old ladies like the one E-S describes. I have, and I can see his/her dilemma. Sucks to be you, E-S.

Stranger things have happened. My neice had a nice new laptop for school that someone stole. About a year later she found out it was her cousin who stole it and that his mother had bought it from him, knowing who it had belonged to. My neice got her laptop back, with no compensation for the time it was gone, and then the mother who had it, called and said she’d like to have it back or at least be paid for it since she had to pay for it.

Un friggin believeable.

I would think that like QtM, it would be a priority to inconvenience the owner as little as possible. I think one should offer a choice to the owner of the item: give them enough money to buy a comparable item, new, at the dealer of their choice (obviously within reason) or to actually buy the selected item for them. After all, they were nice enough to loan you the item, and hopefully be understanding of the accident. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to re-load the thing.

If their choice is for me to give them $$, I don’t care what they do with it, as long as they’re happy with the solution. If you’re worried about documentation, write them a check.

He must be a hell of a friend. Or you must be incredibly nice.

I’d like to think I’m a pretty nice guy, but I don’t know if I’d put up with that. Kudos for being such a good spirit. :slight_smile: