If you find buried treasure, can you keep it?

This thread probably deserves to be bumped in view of recent developments.

Perhaps the mods should change the title to: "If you steal someone’s currency collection, bury it, then dig it up and claim it’s treasure trove, then can you keep it? "

Men who claimed to find buried treasure arrested

It would appear the answer is a resounding NO!.

God, what scumbags.

1. Acquittal of a criminal charge carries little weight in a civil case. Indeed, it’s probably not even admissible. The burden of proof in a criminal case is much higher than in a civil case.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/publications/evidenceiii/cases/dowling.htm
And see* the OJ civil case .

1. Whether or not they were acquitted, the case boils down to some old fashioned property law, discussed in my earlier posts.

The prior possessor of property wins against a subsequent holder of the property and the subsequent holder may not assert lack of good title to the property as a defense (this is called* jus tertii*) against a prior possessor.

A judge recently dismissed the charges. No indication from the story whether they get to keep the money. According to the video linked from the story, the defense attorney successfully argued that since the owner of the barn wasn’t aware of the existence of the money, it was abandoned property.

(Note - I received permission from Moderator samclem to resurrect this thread).

Legally that’s gibberish. How does the property owner’s ignorance show that somebody else intended to abandon the money? And I think it’s pretty clear that the defendant’s thought they were taking the barn owner’s money. If they hadn’t, they could have taken advantage of the Massachusett’s lost property statute, and had the money within a year. If they took what they believed to be somebody else’s property, they could still be convicted of attempted larceny.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmast_ch134_1_7.htm#s1

Well, that’s not the only reason. Coins are heavy, harder to store (bills can be folded)
and hard. If we still had $20 coins, people might well not carry them.

As I understand the (original, common law) treasure trove concept, it is necessary that the finder be on the property legally in the first place. But of course, although US law is largely based on the old Common Law, it’s not absolutely bound by it, and legislators can pass further laws contrary to it.

Roald Dahl wrote a fascinating non-fiction account of a case in England where a man hired to plow a field found, in the course of his plowing, a stash of silver tableware dating back to Roman times. Unfortunately, he was cheated out of the treasure (or more precisely, out of its value, since British law requires that gold or silver treasure trove be turned over to the government for just compensation) by an unscrupulous neighbor who told him that it was just pewter, and worth nothing other than as a pretty little conversation piece.