If you wonder why we told you that the paper you cited was shit

There’s a lot of crap out there passing itself off as “science”. I believe one big reason is that there is a lot of government money available for research, and people want to tap into it by any means possible. The result is often rushed and shoddy and inaccurate.

So, wait, is the takeaway that citing articles published in JAMA or NEJM may be more credible than those from Homeopathy Weekly, or the Liberian Journal of Chrystal Power? Woo boy, my chiropractor ain’t gonna like that!

Perhaps the Asian Journal of Medicine and Health is The Onion of medical journals?

The availability of money may be a motivator to get into the effort, and to rush to be first with results, but the real problem is the breakdown of the controls to evaluate and verify the results. Whether it is agenda driven fields like “alternative medicine”, or profit driven research like big pharma, or as the case with coronavirus research, political agendas driving to rush results, the shortcutting of processes and generation of alternative journals as massaging the data are the factors letting poor results make it through.

Looks like they’ve ceased publication, otherwise the Journal of Irreproducible Results would have taken that title.

Look at peer reviewer 2’s comment!

I do wonder, looking at the peer reviewers/editors, if language comes into play.

Mark Abraham still publishes the Annals of Improbable Research