If you're not a pilot, why not? (Moller Skycar related)

I’m female, 43. Flying is too hard. Too much work to learn. Too much time. Rather have somebody fly the plane for me. Then I can relax and look at stuff.

I love flying in small craft, but why would I want to mess it up by having to really pay attention to altitude and flaps and who’s above and below me? All that radio business and flying into airports and restricted airspace. Also, driving a car freaks me out way enough, so flying a plane would be, like, unimaginably stressful. I’m a born passenger.

If math is all that’s stopping you, you’ve just run out of excuses! :smiley:

I’m a flight instructor, and I can tell you there is very little math to be done in earning a pilot’s license. Basic addition and subtraction, really. And not much of that.

But as has been said earlier, it’s not very economical. Hangars and upkeep eat up a lot of funds. And unless you have serious IFR equipment and skills, it’s not really a good way to travel if you’re on a schedule.

As some of you know, I recently had my first opportunity to control the stick of a plane, and it was an absolute blast! I would love to do it again, but to actually become a pilot? I don’t have the money or the time.

I already have passions I pursue (bowling) and interests I haven’t fully pursued (drum lessons). To try to squeeze in yet another hobby that is far more expensive than the first two and fairly time consuming at the same time while ALSO taking some time to acknowledge my poor wife’s existence simply isn’t practical.

If I were to win the lottery and retire from my full-time job, I would probably be all over it. There’s no question that piloting is a good time, and I love the idea of being able to pop up to Vegas/San Francisco/wherever-I-feel-like on a relatively inexpensive whim.

Lack of funds.

I cannot afford lessons. I cannot afford exam and license fees. I could not afford to rent a plane for even an hour.

None of this stops me from yearning for an ultralight.

I once worked for a well-known company that had a hardened vice-president that was an ex Vietnam fighter pilot. He lived in Maine. We were located dead in the suburbs of Boston. He had an airport close to his house and the company was conveniently located close to the Hanscom general aviation airport. He flew to work in his plane every day the weather didn’t prohibit and had a car in each place. I didn’t always like him much but he was a hero of sorts to me for that.

Just to clear up the quote in the OP, my point is that aircraft are becoming increasingly mmore expensive.

Of course the purchase price is only one cost. Add maintenance, fuel and insurance and unless you’re flying 300 hours per year it’s better to rent. But 300 hours/year is do-able. I used to work with a guy who lived in Big Bear and commuted to Orange. He had a late-'60s Piper Cherokee 140. Cheap to buy (well, they used to be), and cheap to operate. He had his IFR ticket, so weather was seldom a problem.

Dad had two airplanes, which he put on leaseback. They made a profit for him when he wasn’t flying them, and he could use them whenever he wanted. We used to fly to Vegas for lunch.

The difference between a car and an airplane is that an airplane must be maintained. I’ve seen plenty of cars with not enough tread on the tires, in need of a tune-up, or with too many miles on the engine. I’ve seen a lot of cars with damaged or missing parts. I’ve driven with people who put up with electrical problems. How often do most people really change their oil? Many people maintain their vehicles meticulously. Many people can’t be bothered or they can’t afford it and they put it off until the car breaks down. Do that in an aircraft and you’re at least in violation of the regulations. Or you could die.

But considering the cost of a Skycar, and its lack of current utility, one could easily own an airplane, fly it to TBO, sell it, and get another one. Repeat until you’ve burned through the purchase price of the Skycar. (And we’re not even talking about maintenance on multiple turbine engines, insurance, fuel, etc.)

Although there are still a lot of GA airports around, airplanes aren’t really suited to short trips. I’ll throw out 100 mile minimum, just for a figure. Helicopters are better suited for short hops; and if you can get permission to land close to where you need to (and are allowed to by municipal laws), they can be convenient. But you’re going to spend at least $45,000 for a good (Experimental) Rotorway, or $150,000 or more for a mid-time Robinson. (As Sam Stone pointed out, the much cheaper single-seat Mini-500 does not have a stellar safety record.)

Now realistically, a Skycar would not have much utility in L.A. The airspace is too crowded and the trips are too short. Yeah, it sucks to be stuck in traffic; but you can always ride a motorcycle. I could see the utility of a ‘flying car’ if you lived in the Antelope Valley and needed to get to L.A. But then, you could just fly a relatively inexpensive light airplane instead.

Why don’t I own an airplane? For one thing, I prefer helicopters. For another thing, I’ve only recently gotten into a position where I could afford it. But there’s the house to pay for. And I’ve spent too much on my MGB. Right now I need something fast so that I can get from Northern Washington to Southern California. That’s a long trip in a Cessna 172 or 182. I’d have to go for a half-million-dollar production aircraft (with associated operating costs), or else get a fast homebuilt. I have neither the time nor the space to build one, and they’re expensive. Ones that are already built (Glassair, Lanceair) are pretty pricey. I could do with a Quicky Q200, but those aren’t easy to find. A Long-EZ would be good, and there are more of them around. But it’s still a long trip.

So for now I’m going to concentrate on paying for the house and finishing the car. There are also things afoot, and potentially afoot, in my personal life. But I’m keeping my eyes open.

Reason why I’m not a pilot :

• Moderate fear of heights.
  • Too expensive.
  • Difficult and time consuming.
  • Prone to motion sickness.

That should have been Quickie Q200.

The reason I like that aircraft is that it uses a certified aircraft engine and makes almost 200 mph. Not to mention it looks sexy.

That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read on these boards. And I’ve read a lot of dumb things.

I don’t know what you’ve heard before of course, but it’s not that dumb. He’s talking about “many” dopers. He’s not suggesting that each and everyone of us could scrape up 5,000 USD if we wanted to. He’s right in suggesting that many of us can. He then wants to know why we spend that money on something else.

That’s how I read it anyway.

In 1969, we had three airplanes in the family.

My Dad had a 1965 Piper Comanche 260 and a 1967 Mooney Exec. I had a 1946 85 HP Swift which I sold and moved up to a 1949 145 HP Swift.

My older sister was an writer for Flying Mag, I was a piple line patrol pilot, my brother was an aeronautical engineer, another sister was a student pilot, my Mom has her pilots license and my wife of the time had her pilots license.

I am very lucky in all that I got to do before they mucked it up and that I lived through 10,000 + hours of flying for a living.

The last thing general aviation needs is for non motivated people to become pilots.

That’s it. I’m not trying to insult someone who’s a single parent with six kids trying to get by on minimum wage. I’ve been on the Dope long enough to know there are lots of Dopers who could spend $5K on something they really wanted to. It’s not that unrealistic for many people. Hey, if you spend $90/month on Starbuck’s, $300/month on eating out, $50/month on that health club membership you rarely use, $200/month on clothes you rarely wear, $100/month on happy hour, $30/month on DVDs, $40/month on cable TV, $40/month on broadband internet, $40/month cellphone, $200/month on well, I could go on and on. Lots of people can afford lots of things if they really want. For many people, it’s simply a matter of priority, not stealing money from the kids’ college fund.

:dubious: Oh, really?

I don’t know how long ago you asked, or who that guy was… but there are, and have always been, one-eyed pilots.

If the vision in your undamaged eye is correctable to at least 20/40 you can get a private license. If you can see well enough to drive a car you can get a Sport Pilot license.

The young guy who bought my first airplane from me had only one eye. He had been using a Mooney Mite as transportation on a daily basis from Tulsa to Tahlequah to go to college. He took my Swift, installed a larger engine and continued that. This way he had a much better acrobatic platform, for the price at the time, to play with also.

We also had a paraplegic who had a modified C-177 Cardinal that he flew on a regular basis.

The exorbitant waste of fuel? The lack of a need for a helicopter? The existence of other things I’d rather spend my money on?

I bet I could budget and plan for a pet giraffe too, does that mean I should get one of those too?

The same argument could be made for not getting a car (most people could get by with their feet, a bicycle, and a bus pass.) IMO the real reason, amongst those you give, is that there are other things you’d rather spend your money on. A perfectly good reason too.

The desire to fly is a disease that some people have and some don’t. It is pointless trying to explain that desire or absence of it.

You don’t have a pet giraffe? :confused:

Hmm…
[ol]$90/month on Starbuck’s – Nope
[li]$300/month on eating out – Nope[/li][li]$50/month on that health club membership you rarely use – Nope[/li][li]$200/month on clothes you rarely wear – Nope[/li][li]$100/month on happy hour – Nope[/li][li] $30/month on DVDs – Nope[/li][li]$40/month on cable TV – Nope[/li][li]$40/month on broadband internet – Erm… about $25 at current exchange rates[/li][li]$40/month cellphone – Nope, a quarter of that, tops[/li][li]$200/month on well… – Not sure about the “well” either[/li][/ol]

Damn, you had me going for a minute there. Looks like I’m sticking with MS Flight Sim 2004 sine die. :frowning:

I don’t think it’s quite the same thing, since cars actually have a practical application (gets you places faster than walking, biking or taking public transport) while a privately-owned helicopter doesn’t do anything. Most people don’t own a car just so they can drive it around for fun.

I am a pilot. Qualified VFR many years ago, shortly out of my teens.

Haven’t used it in 20 years. No longer sure I could pass the lowest level physical. Would have to be recertified.

It wasn’t all that useful though it was fun. You don’t have VTOL permission for anybody’s back yard. You take a Cessna 152 to some interesting town, you land at the little airport out in the boonies, there’s no taxi there, what are you going to do, walk ten miles into town? You couldn’t fit anything bigger than roller blades into the cargo compartment; there’s definitely no bicycle n thre. And what if there’s two of you and one bicycle? Should you call the taxi that takes longer to arrive than your whole flight, that wouldn’t accept a call from the air?

Getting there through the air is a blast, but you aren’t there when you’re there. Getting the rest of the way there on land was what made it useless except as an amusement for me.

Also, if you live in NYC, good luck. Farmingdale’s the closest small airport since you’re not going to be competing for a takeoff slot with the Boeings at La Guardia or JFK. That means 60+miles on the Long island Distressway to get to your airplane.

On the other hand, dad and I would fly to vegas for lunch and catch a cab at McCarran. Our options were either to drive to Burbank or LAX, over an hour away, and catch a commercial flight with the standing in line and waiting for when the airline wanted to leave, and then be subject to their schedule on the return trip; or to drive four or five hours to Vegas. The 172 took two hours, and the 182 was faster.

We’d also fly to Medford, OR. That’s about a 13 hour drive. Only seven hours in the Skyhawk with a nice food/fuel/toilet stop in Red Bluff.

You’ll have to arrange ground transportation whether you take an airline or fly yourself, so that’s not really an argument. But there are still some small airports that have ‘airport cars’; beaters that they’ll let pilots borrow for the price of a tank of gas.

I’ve never been to NY, but in SoCal you can land your Bugsmasher at Burbank, El Monte, Whiteman, Van Nuys, Santa Monica, Torrance, Hawthorne, Long Beach, Santa Ana…