Illegal immigration from the demand side (aka Zero Tolerance for Employers)

They applied. Not sure why.

A “good faith effort” like this employer made?

Targeting large businesses and industries that benefit from exploiting cheap undocumented immigrant labor with frequent raids like this would surely go a long way towards solving the problem, while boosting wages for those workers in the country legally. Workplace safety would probably improve too (it’s easier for employers to cut corners when their workers are afraid to complain for fear that immigration agents will get involved).

But there’s no more political support for such a plan than there is to conduct frequent raids on recycling businesses/junkyards that knowingly buy metals stolen from homes, businesses and construction sites.

None of us want to do at the price that employers are currently offering. There is a difference.

An employer shouldn’t try to run the I-9 until after the job has been offered and the applicant has accepted. And when processing an I-9 an employer cannot demand a new hire provide a specific piece of documentation. The feds have a list of documents acceptable for I-9 purposes and if the new employee brings them to me I have to accept it so long as it meets the specifications from USCIS.

I’ve had employees try to bring me copies of their Social Security card, novelty metal Social Security cards they insisted were valid (they aren’t), copies of birth certificates, etc., etc. that weren’t up to snuff and I never had any problems telling them their documents were unacceptable and to go get something valid. If an employee doesn’t get their I-9 documentation to me within three days of their official date of hire they can be terminated. I haven’t had that happen yet though.

Ok, you see, all they have to do is show their had plausible deniability. That they saw a SSN, etc.

And of course the real reason behind all this talk about Illegals is that they are brown-skinned and thus it is based upon xenophobia and racism.

The business owners are Ok, since they are usually white, but in any case Americans. :rolleyes:

We fought two World wars in order that no jackbooted thug can order us "Your papers please!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzhIPvEanMg

E-verify is unreliable.

Here is a good article about that. Even with an increase in wages and benefits, they can’t find workers.

Not quite- Republicans like requiring minorities to have IDs, since they are more likely to vote Democratic. It’s Jim Crow.

Employers no longer pay them under the table or less than minimum wage. See, they arent so afraid of the INS, but they are (justifiably) afraid of the IRS. One complaint they are paying under the table, and the IRS is on them, and the iRS is not nice about Employment tax violations.

Also, if the INS does come calling, and they find you are paying the Illegals less, then that is proof you knew they were illegal. So, employers want plausible deniability.

Yep, it is hard backbreaking work, but it is out in the nice California weather, and a good fieldworker can earn $200 a day. Paid by the piece, not by the hour.

And yes, Americans do not want those jobs.

Annual salary of 40,000 in California if you are full time which most are not. 16 per hour as the target rate for one of the farmers. Would you work a long shift in the sun on manual labor for that price? In some places the minimum wage lets you get that much for doing easier retail work.

At some point we need to value physical labor at a higher price, which is against all the dogma of American capitalism and its pride in shareholder getting the value, or we need to keep supporting legal and illegal immigration to supply labor that consistently is the cheapest in the country regardless of the farmers whining about finally going over ten bucks an hour. We probably need higher commodity prices which will help everyone but the super rich (which is why it will not happen) because prices are not so elastic as they pretend everytime wage hikes are discussed. In truth it will stabilize at a point with a slightly lower cut for the rich, higher volume, and a stronger lower class purchasing power at the expense of having some inflation as the adjustment mechanism.

Some will scaremonger over inflation disasters but the reality is it already happens for more insidious reasons so a little wage growth inflation may not even be all that noticeable from the background inflation we get from other sources (mostly financial trickery and now idiotic tariff wars). If we want to stop immigration manual labor should be valued at professional levels with better rewards for professional employees (work long hours, always on time, dependable and wfficient but do their work with their hands instead of their minds). That would mean 20-30 not minimum wage.

Nah, I think it’s better to let people come here and work to support their families, regardless of where their families are. Lower vegetable prices for me is just a bonus.