I'm 42 pounds over my ideal weight

No, and here’s a big reason why–muscle is way less dense than fat. I remember reading some stat that your body has to grow about a mile’s worth of blood vessels for every pound of fat you gain. All that extra length increases the strain on your heart.

Sorry, DP and Epithemus- I can’t agree with you that everyone here is fat while looking at the picture of Dragonblink.
For comparison- my bodyfat index is 33 according to this site, which makes me “obese”.

Here’s a recent picture of me. I’m the the guy on the far left. If that’s obese, this society is way fucked up.

And here’s my obese self.

I certainly wouldn’t call either of you obese or even fat. You both look like regular sized people who are in no danger of death by Big Mac.

As for fat, I’m on the right.

I consider myself ‘not skinny’, but judge for yourself.

My BFI was near there, like 29%. I know I am fat, I don’t run, I look down and see my gut stick out (sorry, no pics here, don’t even have one of myself in print, let alone on disk) I don’t even work out that much.
I wouldn’t say I am Obese, nor would I say that you are. Less so in Scylla’s case, whom seems to have the physique I would like to have in the next 4-6 months. (and If I could stretch myself out to be 6’ tall, you betcha)

I will agree that the charts don’t take in alot of body frames, but I would imagine that they are accurate more often then not. Otherwise, why have em?
Sort of like the “why have meteorologists? they are never right anyhow” :rolleyes:

Uhhuh, right next to the “This Page Cannot Be Displayed” error. :wink:

BF calculators on the internet are grossly inaccurate in any case, and only a set of calipers in the hands of somebody familiar with thier use can really say what your body fat % is.
Body fat % is what is important, not ideal weight.

If I was 220 lbs with 8% BF, I would be alot better off than 160 lbs with 12%. I would also be a huge freaking monster of muscle, barely able to scratch my own arse.

Actually, muscle is more dense than fat, 1.1g/cc vs 0.9g/cc. As for the mile’s worth of blood vessel per pound of fat, well… my instincts say nay, but I’m not sure, so I’m looking it up. Even if it’s true, I’m not entirely convinced that the extra capillaries would strain the heart all that much. Regular exercise causes the growth of new vessels to provide more oxygen to working muscles, and somehow that seems like a good idea to me.

And now I’m real interested. If anyone has any links with information about this kind of thing (blood vessel growth and so forth), I’d love to see it. All I’m finding is ads for growth hormones, steriods, and heart monitors.

Uh huh.

You’re a real tubbo. Maybe you should try Jenny Craig?

Seriously, my suspicions are that you COULD develop joint problems (read, “bad knees”) if you’re carrying excess muscle weight. By the same token, if you are using your arms to bench press 1,000 pounds on a regular basis, you could develop problems. You still only have the same joints everyone ELSE got, after all. Though I also suspect the additional muscle makes those joints somewhat stronger. But I seriously doubt if muscle tissue is hard on cardiovascular health. Have you ever heard of weight lifters being afriad of heart attack death?

Your heart is a muscle as well. While you were putting on all those “extra pounds” your heart was getting bigger, and stronger, so that it could maintain your fabulous physique.

(And it IS fabulous!)

L
Swoons with envy

L

dragongirl, I want to look like you. And Scylla, you have about as much fat as Cameron Diaz has a figure. The woman can wear boy’s Underoos for cryin’ out loud.

I can’t believe I’m fat, though I can guarantee that all BF indices would say otherwise. I work out 6 hours a week, 1.5 of which is weight lifting. On Thursdays, I do a 2.5 hour endurance walk uphill on my incline trainer with a filled backpack on. It would actually be quite hard for me to be truly obese with this amount of exercise.

So I’m afraid I’ll have to disagree with you, DPWhite and Epithemus.

Maegs:

Moi? Link not work?

Scylla, I’d say if you still weigh the same as you did in that picture, that you don’t have anything to worry about.

If you’ve put on some pounds since then (and if I recall from the 1/2 marathon duel w/ Airman Doors you said you had put on a little), then maybe it’s a different story.

However, I’d bet that the “ideal” you’ve got would vary depending on body type, muscle mass, etc. So if you were to drop a few pounds and have a washboard stomach, I’d say to hell with the charts.

Because yes, in reality, there’s definitely something to be said for being FIT, even if you’re slightly above your ideal weight.

No worries.

catsix

Works now. Hrm.

Mnementh you’re right about the densities. Such is the case of a pre-coffee post. I’m working on the search now.

Oh, I forgot to add–multiply the additional blood vessels by narrower blood vessels (due to atherosclerosis) and a heart that’s inefficient, and that’s when you really get problems.

I don’t know how reliable their source is, but here’s something that mentions the blood vessel statistic. Look at myth #3

Dude! Don’t worry about it!

Think of it this way. In a post-apocalyptic scenario, your six-foot, 220-pound self will be able to overpower my 5’9", 155-pound self and devour me.

(photo not available)

In conclusion, Joseph Goebbels Cleveland steamer arson nutmeg.

Yeah, jeez! And to think I almost fell for it too. You’re a disgusting troll, Scylla! :stuck_out_tongue:

The BMI says I’m fat. I’m fat. But I’m another one who will always be over the recommended weight even if I weren’t fat.

I don’t care for skinny boys, anyway. A little tummy is so cozy. I think you need to each more cheeseburgers, Scylla. At least have another beer! :wink:

Wow! What a link! An opportunity to scan a picture of Scylla! Even an opportunity to buy wallet sized reprints! Gasp!