I'm a liberal, and I am sad that Antonin Scalia died

WWHTHS?

What Would Hunter Thompson Have Said?

I do not give one rat’s ass about the guy himself dying. I do, however, feel for his family, knowing what it’s like to suffer the loss of a loved one. (As for what I’d do if someone told me they were glad a relative of mine were dead? I plead the fifth on that. I’d rather not get a warning)

The heart often knows truth that the mind doesn’t. When I heard of Scalia’s passing, I thought “What a shame.” But my heart leaped with joy.

This is a much nicer version of my thoughts regarding Trinopus. The little respect I had has dwindled to none.

Slee

Scalia was a robust and hearty man of brilliant intellect and delightfully charming sense of humor who, to the consternation of many, believed the Constitution said what it said rather than what some would have it contorted into. I became genuinely fond of him after having watched profiles on television which revealed the qualities I mentioned above, and I’m sad at his passing far beyond the political implications. I really thought Ruth Ginsburg would be the first to go and that Scalia probably had another good eight to ten years or so. Ironically, Scalia and Ginsburg were the best of friends in their personal lives and got together often socially. I’m sure she is heartbroken at his passing. I’d like to think their example would be a better one to follow than those demonstrated by certain members of the love and tolerance crowd on this board who are so viciously and unabashedly celebrating his death (mostly in other threads, thankfully not so much in this one).

May I celebrate the fact that I have out-lived another person who should never have been given the voice he was given?

Because you bet your sweet bippy I am!

Yay! Hooray! Another one down!!!

The problem I have with this thread is that it comes across as an attack on the people here. Yes, you say it’s about Twitter et al, but you post like you think you’re unique among liberals or something, like you’re daring us to defend these celebrations.

I’m actually not a fan of the people actually celebrating the man’s death, either. I do think it is callous and shows a lack of empathy. Twitter is ultimately about reaching the public, and the guy’s family who are grieving are a part of that public. It is the grieving people left behind that makes any death sad. When I die, I would not want my relatives to have to read people saying how happy they were that I was dead.

But that doesn’t mean there cannot be things to be happy about. It’s not as if emotions cancel each other out. There are things that Scalia’s death has put into motion that could actually be good. It’s not certain, in a Republican held Senate, but there is some hope.

I’m not saying you have to actually be sad for every person who dies, but I find it really difficult not to be at least a little bit sad when I’m made aware of the death of a specific person. But, even if that’s not you, I think it’s weird to be the ones who are all about how political correctness is great and we shouldn’t unnecessarily offend while also saying something that would greatly offend you if Scalia was someone you thought was a champion for your side.

But, hey. I’m someone who was capable of feeling sad when Osama Bin Laden was killed. Sure, I was happy, too, but, again, good emotions don’t cancel out bad ones. As long as you don’t post something like Trinopus did, I can’t really see myself getting upset at anyone over this.

Eh, he died in his sleep. He had a lot if power when he died. I feel bad for the family, but I’m not sad.

Here’s the latest from Rafael Edward “Ted” Cruz. (This is the only link I could find even though I saw him say this on F@X).

We are one justice away from the Supreme Court striking down the Second Amendment, ruling that no individual American has any right whatsoever to keep and bear arms, we are one justice away from that.

Question. Can the Supreme Court rule that an existing Constitutional Amendment is unconstitutional or is Old Ted once again, one off?

Certainly. The Supreme Court could simply rule that the Amendment applies only to the military (i.e., “militia”).

It probably won’t though, just like conservative courts even during Republican presidencies with Republican majority congresses haven’t overturned Roe v. Wade.

It would also be interesting to see how the government would set about disarming the American populace of their 350 million firearms.

He has made his ruling, now let him enforce it.

In all seriousness though, the Supreme Court, unlike the political branches, has to at least explain their opinions in a way that passes the laugh test. That’s why courts have tended to avoid the gun control question and just let states pass reasonable restrictions. Overturning the right to bear arms isn’t actually possible unless the courts get packed with overly political justices, and by overtly political I mean way more political than any justice that’s ever been on the court.

As far as being saddened at Scalia’s death, I’m not, but I don’t know Scalia. I don’t get sad over famous people dying. But the man had friends who are mourning today, two of them being Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer, who were personally close to him on the court despite their ideological differences. If you don’t respect the man and want to cheer his passing, then at least respect Ginsburg and Breyer and the fact they lost a friend yesterday.

Can’t say that I agree with many of his views, but his policy of Judicial restraint is one I have always subscribed to. Let the legislature make laws, that’s what they are there for.

As would I.

Well put.

The NYTimes obitis fair and generous.

Any truth to the rumor that although he wanted cremation a woman’s group is fighting this, saying they should have some say on what happens to his body?

Would you consider the act praiseworthy? Would you feel good about yourself for doing it? If so, why?

Cite for Scalia harming people.

(Note his staunch anti-abortionism could be construed to save millions)

Either this is not a serious request, or you are limiting “harm” to physical damage. (Edit: I’m not familiar with the abortion issues, but I will say that while he might be saving millions of unborn humans, he would simultaneously be causing millions of born humans to continue a pregnancy, which is guaranteed to result in at least some pain and has a non-zero risk of death.)

I’m liberal, and am very happy he is no longer a Justice. Didn’t wish death on him, but as he was unlikely to retire, I’m happy that he is dead. He had a nice long life during which he exerted plenty of power, and he passed peacefully. I’m giddy at the prospects opened up by his passing.

I think he is credited with too much in terms of judicial restraint and original construction. He was very fond of them when they supported his preferences, otherwise, not so much.