I'm going to Reno in August for a conference. Anything in town I should check out?

If you’re a baseball fan, the Reno Aces are the AAA club of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Greater Nevada Field is one of the nicest facilities in the Minor Leagues, IMO.

Also shares space with a soccer club, if that’s more your speed. No idea how well they do, but the Aces have had some success.

. We’re adventurous eaters, and enjoy trying new cuisines/variations. Pho, kangaroo meat, dim sum, ethiopian, peruvian, indonesian, nepalese and more have all pleased our palate in the past. And we’re familiar with Guy hedgehoghead, so perhaps we’ll check out the cited diners. Though I can’t imagine using actual Kobe beef to make meat loaf out of! That’d be like using my 28 year old cheddar on an enchilada. :eek:

That could be interesting.

Been there, done that, and we’re big enough fans of Twain to consider a revisit

Beaches aren’t a priority tho as unselfconscious boomers we’d be inclined to hit the nude beach, if any. Trail advice is appreciated, especially if they’re under 4 miles without too much elevation change, because well, we’re boomers so our knees are wearing out.

I checked their website, their burgers all have gluten-free buns? How odd. We’ll skip burgers.

I quite booze over 3 decades ago, after determining that once I took the first drink, I didn’t know when or where I’d be taking the last one.

So, lots of great tips in this thread, and I say Thankee Sai for them. The butterfly house, a trip to Donner Park, and the CC mint appeal too, as does the CC natural hx museum.

Shakespeare’d be cool too! I love poring over all the terms he used: Words and Phrases Coined by Shakespeare

There are at least one in: dim sum (CaiE and others), Ethiopian (Zagol), Peruvian (El Tumi; w/ Salvadorean right next door). I don’t think there is a Indonesian restaurant. There is a northern Indian restaurant (Thali) which may have Nepalese type stuff, though I am unfamiliar enough to not be able to state what is authentic.
I don’t know any restaurant that serves kangaroo, but I checked and Sierra Meats has it if you will have a means to cook (aside: their website states: State law prohibits the sale and consumption of kangaroo in California. WTF guys!?)

Another good place for some adventure is Kauboi Izakaya (Japanese pub food). My daughter ate her first heart there.

Secret Cove is that beach. Fairly close.

Desolation Wilderness is very pretty, but most of those are probably more hardcore than you’re looking for (especially Bayview, ouch). So much closer, maybe Hunter Creek, might be a little steep? Galena

Also not really a hike but you can walk alongside the Truckee river most of its length.

I am the biggest buzzkill skeptic about anyone claiming that gluten free provides benefits to non-Celiacs. But I’ve had their buns and don’t remember any issues. Good burgers FWIW.

Fair enough, I’d be more helpful in that realm otherwise.

BTW: which conference?

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned it yet, but if you’re a fan of sushi, be sure to eat it at least once a day in Reno - for reasons that have never been clear to me, Reno is a sushi mecca, with all-you-can-eat sushi that is actually pretty high quality for something like $15-$30, and in more than 20 sushi places there. The chefs are very skilled, and are typically happy to make custom orders, and the selection is amazing and not limited in any way.

I second the auto museum and Hot August Nights if you like cars.

Depending on your crowd, and if you’re there in mid-to-late August, you can hang out with a bunch of Burners there before they go off to Burning Man. There are typically some great pool parties at Grand Sierra both before and after populated mostly by Burners.

Eh sort of. There are many that prioritize quantity over quality, so unless you’re coming from particularly atrocious fish. Or they have ones that screw up orders and forget things, or ones that have boring menus, especially at lunch. No really “authentic” places.

Reef downtown is one that people recommend for some reason, i think it’s mediocre at best. But still not the worst I’ve had. I like Sakana the best that I’ve tried. But only the Somerset one, the Northtowne one has had absolutely horrible service when I went.

Oh yeah. If you do the “after” pool party, be aware that you are sharing water with filthy, filthy people.

Same people, before and after. :wink:

True, maybe like a chinchilla the dust actually cleanses. But it gets everywhere. The week after BM is Black Friday for car washes.

At the end of August into Labor Weekend is the Nugget Rib Cook Off, a huge rib festival with basically nothing but ribs and a few washed up national acts. You could also arrange a tour of the Tesla Gigafactory if you’re into that. No cars are assembled there, just parts and energy products, but you’d probably see some wild horses on the way in.

nm.

No one seems to have mentioned this, so I will: Go see Genoa, which is about 60 min. or so south of Reno. Genoa, then known as Mormon Station, was the first settlement by Europeans in the Nevada territory (1851). At the time, the location was part of the undifferentiated Utah Territory. There is a very nicely preserved historic district in the old downtown area, plus, if I recall, a museum in the county courthouse.

Very much worth the drive to see, and since it is right up against the Sierra Nevada fault scarp, the views there are outstanding.

Remind me again why he did that?

Not anymore! They built a wicked bitchen’ new road, and you could probably make it in half that.

Nice little bar there, too.

And from there, a short drive to South Shore up Kingsbury.

Apple Maps says 55 min., but, then, Apple Maps doesn’t drive like most headed out of Reno do. :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:
I remember doing Kingsbury grade. In snow. Without chains. Once. :dubious:

Wild fire season , make sure you bring plenty of water. Contact NVDOt and Cal trans for road conditions.

What roads would you worry about in August???

Should I bring water from Wisconsin? We do have extra but the Great Lakes Compact keeps me from diverting it outside our own drainage basin. :stuck_out_tongue:

All kidding aside, the drinking water in Reno and Tahoe is exceptional.

You can get free stickers to put on your Bentley!

I’m a little surprised nobody has suggested Grimes Point. That area calls to me.

I’m an occasional high desert rat and I like glyphs and rocks and other quieter pursuits.

I found one on the mountain in my back yard. Right now, top row, far right photo, here:

Imgur

Real close to home. Haven’t found any others, but they ain’t goin’ anywhere.