I'm going to watch all of the James Bond Films [Please avoid Spoilers for Goldeneye or later Bond movies]

I’ve always thought of Octopussy as a ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ Bond film. Some of it, particularly the action, is terrific, but other parts (the, ahem, ‘comedy’) is appalling. I’m thinking Tarzan screams and bloody great Union Jack-clad hot air balloons being used to stealthily attack the enemies’ base.

The bit where old Rog is trying to get to the airbase in time to save the day is just plain daft. Are you seriously telling me he wouldn’t just run into the nearest shop/restaurant in that town square, ask to use the phone and call MI6? Nope, what I think I’ll do is steal this nice lady’s car right in front of half the West German police and then take a joyride.

Steven Berkoff playing a mad Russian general, with a German (??) accent is one of my guilty pleasures though. “Follow zat car!!”

Yes and they referenced Major Dexter Smythe, who was in the short story Octopussy, who in the film murdered a Korean mountain guide. In the short story though the guide was an Austrian called Oberhauser, whom they would later rework into Bond’s stepfather in Spectre.

I love Octopussy. For one thing, the backgammon scene is just 100% perfect Bond. (It’s not really in the wrist, you know.) I also loved the “Most Dangerous Game” hunt overall, although I know the Tarzan yell in specific is pretty reviled among Bond watchers. Also, the crowd’s heads going back and forth while Bond whacks at his pursuers with a tennis racket…funny, yet does no violence to Bond’s image.

Also, the opening scene in Cuba with the tiny plane slipping out of the closing barn doors…classic.

Disclaimer: Octopussy was my first Bond movie, so my love for it might be more than the movie deserves on its own merits.

I love the opening sequence, including the trouble they went to to find a RM lookalike definitely not Cuban Colonel or whatever he is. “Sounds like a load of bull”. The jet chase is bloody brilliant.

Tennis watching crowd in India, not such a fan of.

Y’know, I always kind of figured that (a) Roger Moore would already have a no-trouble stunt-double lookalike, because, well, he would, wouldn’t he? And that (b) it was Argentina, because, hey, Falklands…

I liked all these scenes as well (though the Tarzan bit made me roll my eyes, it was pretty much in keeping with the Bond of the time).

Honestly, there wasn’t much I specifically didn’t like about Octopussy. I think, given a little time now to reflect, that it felt to me like a lot of of really great pieces of Bond films that somehow didn’t add up to a whole great Bond film.

Is that the one where he’s almost flushed away by a torrent of water that comes from nowhere, and then just disappears?

That would be Dr No

Good point about the stunt man. In A View to a Kill I think we got more stunt man (men) than Roger Moore.

Oh and it definitely was, but definitely wasn’t wink wink Cuba, as there is a Fidel Castro lookalike eying up Bond’s colleague.

As Iamtractorboy pointed out, that was Dr. No

That whole sequence in the movie makes zero sense. In Fleming’s novel, Dr. No and his minions (who aren’t yellow, with steampunk goggles) are actually putting Bond through a sort of torture obstacle course, so it makes sense that things like heated floors/walls and water are thrown at him. In the movie, though, he uses his sneakers to break through the electrified grate on the way too large ventilation duct (far too easy a way out), then goes crawling down it. The heated walls seem to be a simple feature of the duct, not meant to be an obstacle course. The same for the sea water that dowses Bond. If I were No, I’d have some harsh words with my HVAC contractor, after which I’d torch him with my personal dragon-shaped flamethrower tank.

Wrong! Torch first, no monologues! Have you learned nothing from every Bond villain?

What’s worse, if it isn’t a designed obstacle course, is that torrent of water ends up in Bond’s holding cell. Or in some other room. Not a good design!

You’re not wrong; but I’ll forgive a lot of Orlov’s schtick, because him being a guy who talks like that so neatly sets up his decidedly in-character reply to Bond.

“…against…whom?”

Not to mention Buddy Fine.

That name seems f’d up. :wink:

Now I have a post for the “Things You Realized After the Millionth Time?” thread!

His name’s…not…BUDDY!!!

Oh wait, yes it is. But it’s not Fine.

Never Say Never Again (1983)

Never Say Never Again was the first Bond film I saw in a theater. I was 20, and wasn’t that into the franchise. I’d seen a couple of Connery’s efforts on TV and enjoyed them. At the time, there were still a lot of people who’d never accepted Roger Moore as Bond, and even though I wasn’t watching his films, I think I picked up that attitude by osmosis. Sir Sean was the real James Bond in my head, so I got sucked into the “Connery Is Back!!!” hype, and went to see this. I remember that I really liked it back then, and I was quite curious how it would stand up to my memory now.

Turns out, it holds up pretty well. It’s kind of a throwback to the more deliberate pacing of the earlier Bonds – which makes sense, since it’s essentially a remake of Thunderball. Apparently, for legal reasons I don’t quite understand, that was the only way the makers of this film could secure the rights to the characters.
I went back and read my review of Thunderball; it seems I enjoyed it but found it a bit bloated and over-long. I didn’t feel that way about Never Say Never Again, even though it’s 4 minutes longer. The latter felt like a tight thriller; it may not have been non-stop action, but the tension and stakes were always palpable.

As an aside, after I finally get through all of these films, I might just start over, and see if I still agree with what I’ve written about each movie here in this thread. One’s opinion of a film can be influenced by outside factors and can change over time. Anyway, I digress.

We know the plot already: SPECTRE steals two nuclear warheads and threatens global annihilation if their monetary demands are not met. It’s up to 007 to retrieve the bombs – or in this case, bomb. In what I think was a change from Thunderball, one of the bombs was discovered buried under Washington D.C. and disarmed, and Bond needs to track down the second one. But whatever, the idea is the same.

Connery seemed to be getting bored with James Bond by Diamonds Are Forever, his last official outing. His 12-year break seems to have given him a new spark for the role. He seems to be having fun again, and it’s fun to see him back.
Klaus Maria Brandauer’s Largo is a terrifying sociopath, and he nails it. Barbara Carrera is stunning as Fatima Blush, and her gleeful approach to her job as an assassin was great fun. Kim Basinger is gorgeous as well, and her character has more reason to turn against Largo than just Bond’s magical powers of seduction.
And Max Von Sydow appears as Blofeld and does, well, pretty much nothing. In a film where most of the characters had some layers to them, he was kind of wasted.

Of course, there was different M, Moneypenny, Q, and (this one’s not a shock) Felix. Of these, only Felix made much of an impression; I liked Bernie Casey quite a bit. Interestingly, the conceit that “M” is a title and not a particular person would find its way into the official franchise later on.

Even though this film is outside of the official Bond franchise, I think it still deserves a spot on the roster.

After this, I started catching most Bond movies on their initial release. So this kind of marks a turning point in my little experiment. Up until now, I was experiencing most of these movies for the first time. From here on out, I’ll be re-visiting films I’ve seen before, with only a couple exceptions. That may change the way I look at them; it may not.

Next up: A View to a Kill

My impression: “Did Connery have a stroke?” I remember at the time I thought he slurred his words. I thought he must have gotten too old to act. Glad that wasn’t the case, but I’ve never gone back to give it another look. Never Again,

I didn’t like the wink wink that Felix changed color. Too meta. I also hate the Bond’s pee is strong enough to kill. Cringe-inducingly not funny.

But I still like " I just remembered. It’s against Service policy for agents to give endorsements. " No matter what I think of the movie, I’m glad I saw that.