I'm looking for sci-fi/fantasy stories set on non-spherical worlds.

Sounds like someone DID write a story set in the Cyrus Teed “inside out” universe I described in post #14, I hadn’t heard of this before.

If the current movies (Thor) are to be believed, Asgard is a big, floating island in space.

Damn! Ninja’d by 6 and a half hours. I must be getting slow.
I did like how the humans used the ends for vacuum industries, plus that was where there were Bandersnatchii.

In the World of Warcraft, the “world” of the Burning Crusade known as the Outlands is a small part of a world that got blowed up real good… just a collection of really huge, country-sized islands floating in space. (WoW purists will point out that it’s really only about 20 miles across, but whatever).

Wasn’t there a story somewhere set on a cubic world, where the 8 vertices were essentially these huge mountains?

I think that’s “Vacuum Diagrams” by Stephen Baxter (that I mentioned upthread)

Ooh, another one! Sigil is the main city in the Dungeons and Dragons setting Planescape. It’s located on the inner side of a torus. I’m mainly familiar with it through the excellent computer game Torment, but it’s also been featured in novels, in case you need that for a qualification (although the game has a better story than the average fantasy novel).

Thanks for this thread op and all contributors. I just got a whole load of books added to my reading list. Cool stuff!

Dave Duncan’s duology “Children of Chaos” and “Mother of Lies” is set on a dodecahedral world.

Little-known fact: Nollywood is shaped like a phish.

Obligatory tvtropes link:

Technically not, since Melskin is an oblate spheroid which was explicitly excluded in the OP. It’s worth reading anyway though.

Hell, if we’re going with video games, in the early days the planet Sonic the Hedgehog inhabited was called Moebius and was, well, a Moebius Strip. I’m not sure exactly when this stopped being canon in the Americas (this was never the case in the Japanese version due to the story not mattering and thus the teams having completely disparate story bibles). I imagine it had to have stopped being canon by the time of Sonic and Knuckles because of the clearly round Earth you see from space, but then all the crap in Robotnik’s base had “Eggman” plastered on it and that wasn’t his official name in English speaking regions until Sonic Adventure came out (which, due to it being more story heavy, was about the same time the American and Japanese storylines became the same).

^^^^ Reported for being spherical spam.

Helix by Eric Brown, and it’s recent sequel Helix War features an immensely long string of barrel-shaped planets coiled around a sun, although I think their shape isn’t clarified until the 2nd book.

I really enjoyed both books - the first involves the system’s discovery and the second is about problems that arise 200 years later.

There’s this story set on a series of Bishop Rings orbiting around Beta Sagittarius; Betrayals

…but I’m probably not supposed to tell anyone about this on this board, because it was me that wrote it…

Orbitals are worth investigating further, if you have never read any Iain M. Banks stories. They are smaller versions of Ringworlds, which rotate once a day to give a planet-like alternation of day and night. They turn out to be about three million kilometers across, assuming an Earth-like day and Earth-like gravity.
Orbitals

Helical worlds makes me think of Marvel’s old Micronauts comics set in the microverse, where Homeworld looked like a helical tinkertoy-type atomic model, and Spartek a spiky spheroid, IIRC.

There’s also an old trilogy by Lyndon Hardy, starting with Master of the Five Magics. The last book in the trilogy involves dimension-hopping to worlds with different natural laws, including one withh rocks zooming around empty space were steered by changing the natural laws of repulsion and attraction.

I hadn’t heard of that term before. To me, a Bishop’s Ring is a meteorological effect due to volcanic dust in the atmosphere:

It’s not about 20 miles across, what happens is that time moves really, really, really fast when you’re traveling (otherwise the non-blown-up, spherical Azeroth would be smaller than our Moon).

It has been so for decades in the comics too.

I promise I’m not following you around :dubious: