I'm moving to Oregon. What should I know?

Yeah, I’ve always thought that’s kind of strange as well. And in California, gas is much more expensive than in Oregon, to the tune of 25 or 30 cents a gallon.

Wow. I know nothing about Oregon. But now I want to move there.

Sorry for the brief hijack. Carry on!

I certainly hope so, because if not either I’m an idiot, or you’re on par with Ramanujan.

-Near the university, there used to be small motel-like apartments called ‘quads’. If you really end up not finding anything, you can certainly bunk there until you find something. A hotel-sized room with your own toilet, share a kitchen/shower with 3 other folk.

-Stick a saltine in your sugar/salt jars if you ever want them to pour.

-India House chai at Saturday Market is not to be missed <if they’re still around>

-Oregon Country Fair is hella fun, and also not to be missed. If you know ANYONE who’s going who is invited to stay overnight <or has a stall there and is staying overnight> sell your future grandchildren and finagle an invite as well. The fun only STARTS during the day; it’s the night that roars <3

-Cougar Hot Springs rocks, as does the Glenwood for hangover breakfast. Or any breakfast!

-I lived there six years and never owned a car. Rode a bike through snow, sleet and rain. It’s been decades and my ass STILL hurts, but no. You do not need a car.

-Oh yes, though it’s been a while, there was a huge tax refund given to renters. Any kind of renters. Ok maybe not HUGE, but at that time the 400 bucks was a lot to me! Make sure to inquire about that; it’ll assuage the reaming your butt will take from every deposit you will NEVER get back.

-No matter how big your heart, do not give anything to any panhandler, anywhere, unless it’s a card from the local shelter. The shelter gives out cards good for free meals and a place to stay, and if they don’t need that, they don’t need your quarter, either. Just trust me on this one, you will see more scams on the street for your loose change than you can imagine.

I would look for housing in the Whiteaker neighborhood; it has a largely undeserved bad reputation, which keeps the rents down, and is home to the funkiest/coolest bar (Sam Bonds’ Garage – especially on bingo night!), coffeeshop (the Wandering Goat; they also sell beer) and restaurants (just to pick one, the Laughing Planet). It is a few miles from campus, but if you are on a bike, there is a beautiful riverfront bike trail which will take you right there. Bon voyage!

The #2 runners mecca in the USA (after Bouldr CO). Hosts more and bigger track meets than anyplace in the western hemisphere save Kingston, Jamaica.

First off, spring for the larger Conestoga wagon, and get two extra oxen. Make sure to get a couple of hunting rifles and plenty of ammunition. Once you get far west enough, game is plentiful and you can trade extra meat with other members of your wagon train for various other supplies. The only other supplies you really need to stock up on are medicines in case someone in your party gets dysentery or cholera.

People, people! Nearly 50 posts and no one’s mentioned that RuvenB will be entering Beervana, aka Oregon? Eugene’s own Ninkasi is gaining a lot of respect in just four years:

Check this article in The Oregonian, the Portland-based largest newspaper in the state.
The newspaper in Eugene is the Register-Guard, with a strongly liberal editorial policy. It’s another source in the hunt for living space.

Oh, and you may hear something about former U of O athletic director Mike Belloti.

By the way, not all of Oregon is wet, just the piece west of the Cascade Range. The eastern part of the state is mostly high desert country, where it might rain just 8 or 10 inches a year, as opposed to 50 inches in Eugene.

And there are some nifty Pacific beaches are only a longish hour away at Florence, and there are some serious sand dunes as well.

If you’re ever in Florence, ask them about the exploding whale :smiley: They love that.

Caulk the wagons, never try to ford the rivers.

The sand dunes are absolutely breathtakingly amazing. Go.

I didn’t realise that was in Florence. My ex-fiancée lives in Coos Bay and goes to Florence every so often. Come to think of it, I think I have a cousin in Florence.

If you’re a fan of public radio, you should know that the two largest group owners of stations in Oregon are not Clear Channel or any of the other mega-station groups but Oregon Public Broadcasting (12 stations and 30+ translators) and Jefferson Public Radio (based in Ashland) with 11 stations and 25+ translators.

If you’re a theatre buff, check out the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland- they’re really top-notch and are a major draw for the whole West Coast.

Did anyone mention running Stop signs during right turns? I don’t live there and can’t remember the conditions under which this is legal.

They call that a ‘California stop’.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but all over Portland there are stop signs with a second sign underneath: “Right Turn OK Without Stopping”

AFAIK these are nonexistent in California and Washington. I lived in California the first 33 years of my life, lived in Vancouver for the first 15 months after moving up here, and also spent a few months in Seattle. I’ve only seen these signs in Oregon. No clue about anywhere else.

I’ve seen the signs around here (Tacoma), but only in situations where a car turning right will not be merging with traffic — in other words, where a one-lane street coming from the left is becoming a two-lane street by adding a right lane.

keeps people employed. Actually my daughter is a senior at U of O and she has a job pumping gas. It’s not a fun job, especially with all the californians whining about how they’re perfectly capable of doing it themselves.

If you’ll be moving up from CA my advice is change to Oregon plates asap.

And remember- Ducks Fly Together

Oh, we blow up anything on our coast. A freightergot stuck off the coast a few years ago and we blew it up four times. That whale didn’t stand a chance.