I'm probably the last person to discover Evanescence...

Paul, the 16 y/o’s are listening to Justin and Brittney.

Probably because like every other shit band nowadays, they do their level best to sound exactly like Creed.

Hardly. walk round any british town centre. kids either listen to this stuff, or R&B/garage crap, dependant on how theyre dressed to identify themselves.

I’d say 10-12 year olds are listening to Britney/Dickhead.
IMO. i’ll try and find some cites to back me up.

various tennage social groups

check it out. or google - UK teenage musical trends research

everyone of these tennagers will tell you that they are cooler than the others, with not a single shred of evidence to back them up other than ‘because’.

Evanescance are still a demographic, as much as Timberlake or Spears. they just appeal to a slightly different audience. very slight.

meh.

Thank you all very much for causing me to spendmore money. I liked Evanescence’s debut album very much, and now based on the recommendations in this thread, I had to go and buy a couple of albums from Nightwish and Lacuna Coil. I swear, this board is going to bankrupt me.

And for the record, I don’t listen to Spears or Timberlake.

Nope, Paul’s right.

I work in the music section of a department store. 16 year olds are buying Evanescence, Linkin Park, 50 Cent and Eminem. 12 year olds are buying Justin, Britney, 50 Cent and Eminem. 8 year olds are buying Hilary Duff, 50 Cent and Eminem.

LOL! Well, I don’t think they sound like anything I’ve heard from Creed. However, they share a record label with Creed. Also, the guest male vocalist on “Bring Me To Life” is Paul McCoy of the band 12 Stones, which is a Christian band (and 12 Stones also just happens to be on the same record label with Creed and Evanescence).

But the main reason people thought Evanescence was a Christian band is because they presented themselves to their record label as a Christian band, and their record label promoted them as such. Their CDs were even sold in Christian music stores.

When the band’s guitarist/cofounder was asked by Entertainment Weekly (I think) if the band was Christian, he apparently responded with a profanity-filled tirade denying it. In response, their record label, admirably, immediately pulled their CDs from all Christian outlets and gave unconditional refunds to every store that had stocked them. The company also issued a formal, contrite apology in which they explained that the band had led them to believe they were Christian, and so they had marketed them as Christians. The recold company expressed its embarrassment over the situation, and promised that that kind of situation would never occur again.

I unfortunately did not keep the link to the article about this.

Link

My thoughts exactly. What is it about this band that somehow messes with people’s good music radar? My ex-GF likes the Flaming Lips, Bjork, the Broken Social Scene, the aforementioned Beth Gibbons - but this hackneyed, unoriginal crud is what gets played at the office when she’s controlling the CD player.

I’ll consent that she’s got a nice voice, but that’s about it.

Which albums did you get? Be sure to come back to this thread (or start another one, whichever) and tell us what you think.

For those of you who have said they sound like Linkin Park (sp), have you heard more then one song? I am very much a head banger, and Fallen came out to be my second favorite album of last year. So much so that it was almost my first album of the year. The only song that sounds anything like that is Bring me to Life. There are no other “rap” style or nu-metal singing on the disk.

Honestly, when I first bought it I wondered why I was, but after a couple of spins I really liked the disk. Hopefully they will come out with a good second disk, but I’m afraid this isn’t going to happen as they will probably get bullied by the record company.

“my God, my tourniquet
return to me salvation”

sounds pretty Christian to me.

‘Evanescence are “a secular band, and as such view their music as entertainment.”’

The abject shittyness of Christian Rock, explained in one sentence. Gotta love it.

“Tell me, Jesus, are you angry?
One more sheep has just gone astray
A hardening of hearts, turning to stone
Wandering off so far from home”

Also sounds pretty Christian - but it’s not from a Christian Rock band.

(Half a point for anyone who can name the artist, track and album without Googling.)

I think it’s the fact that they’re enjoyed by the non-elite.

Wait… That’s not what you meant, is it?

It is, however, true.

They’re not a bad band. (Nor is Linkin Park for that matter. They, in fact, seem a lot more ‘genuine’ than a lot of the ‘great’ ‘elite’ bands who do nothing but whine about ‘commercial pop’ when they’re not making music - which may, or may not, actually be good music - just like the ‘commercial pop’ they’re decrying.)

Seriously. Music is music. If it speaks to your very soul, or makes you want to dance, or sing, or if it simply sounds good, it’s ALL GOOD.

I like Nightwish, but, you know what? They’re nothing any more special than Evanescence is. They’re a band that makes good music and has a female singer with a nice voice, just like Evanescence. That’s it. The fact that they haven’t struck a chord with ‘teenybopper’ or ‘mainstream’ listeners doesn’t validate them, and the fact that Evenscence has doesn’t invalidate them.

(Sidenote, I kind of prefer Going Under to Bring Me To Life.)

I guess I do come off as a bit of a snob with that statement. Apologies.

Unfortunately, I don’t really see how this is any different from what I said, just from the other side of the looking glass.

Perhaps we should do a mix tape exchange, and see which one of us converts the other first. :wink:

Alrightie then.

I apologise. I don’t think I made my point clearly. I’m not dismissing anyone’s music out of hand in my comment. I’m bitching about an attitude, that a lot of non-mainstream bands (who range from great, to dismal, just like more mainstream bands) - and especially their fans - have. The attitude of automatic goodness of more obscure bands, and automatic crappiness of mainstream bands.

Keeping with my example: From what I’ve seen of Linkin Park in interviews and live performances, they don’t present themselves as (neccessarily) better than other bands - those that made it big, or those that didn’t - either in their own genre or others. They’re just a bunch of guys who got lucky, and they’re still really just a bunch of fanboys, making a buttload of money doing something they like to do.

But even a lot of bands who do present this attitude make good music that I enjoy. I don’t let their (or their fans’) attitude prevent me from enjoying their music.

Heh. I think you might be surprised at the contents of a mix tape I put together, right now. (Despite my liking and defending both, neither Evanescance nor Linkin Park would be on it, ATM.) And how many on any mix tape you made I’m already familiar with/a fan of, most likely.

Thinking about this, who produces Evanescence and Linkin Park? The reason I think they sound so similar is down to the production to my ears, the same sort of ‘overproduction’ that flattens many a good bands sound down (see: Nirvanas Nevermind). Now while, i’m not convinced about either band, perhaps in the hands of a someone who records music with less commercial sensibilities (see: Steve Albini, John McIntyre), it might give these bands a bit more chance with the more discerning listener who doesnt really listen to the radio or watch MTV that much (see: paulberserker).
I gave the Bush album that Albini produced a go, even though I didnt really care for their music. result? you had to respect the dry crunch of the drum production at the very least.

Flat pop style production, or record execs putting their oars too deep in a bands music may be the case here. do Evanescence write all their own stuff? It just doesnt really leap out at me musically, and comical big budget videos dont really convince me that this music is credible neither.

my musical tuppence. cheers!

46 year old fart checking in. I think Evanescence is the best new band I’ve heard in years - I simply love their song My immortal. I hope they can keep it up or even improve further.
I don’t get the eternal comparison to Linkin’ Park (whom I can listen to, but they’re definitely in a different league). I see the sound more as Cranberries mixed with Tori Amos.

Might as well be this thread, though it has sort of drifted. I ordered the CDs online. Hopefully they’ll show up by the end of the week, but since I don’t have them yet I can’t give much of a review. Here’s a list of what I got, though. Century Child & Oceanborn from Nightwish, and Comalies & Lacuna Coil from Lacuna Coil.

Okay, based upon this thread and my love of Evanescence, I acquired some Nightwish and Lacuna Coil.

Loved Nightwish, but was somewhat surprised at the comparison to Evanescence. I’d interpret the sound as much more “vocal” than “industrial.” I recommend fans to give Sarah Brightman a try, particularly La Luna and Eden. Her albums tend to be about half opera and half pop.

I’m not so impressed with Lacuna Coil, the sound seems to be just another garage band. The woman’s voice is okay, the man’s voice is nerve-wracking, and I have so far tuned out the music while listening during my commute. These are just first impressions, I intend to give both bands another week. My recommendation: Wild Strawberries.

As for Linkin Park, yes, I’ve heard more than one song. :rolleyes: Love them, and I think Meteora is better than Hybrid Theory, and I hope they’ll continue to improve. My theory – with Linkin Park, and Natalie Imbruglia, Evanescence, and other one-hit wonders is not that their albums are bad, per se, but their hit song is completely different than the rest of their sound, so it’s hard to get a follow-up hit to the same audience. I loved Imbruglia’s “Smoke,” but I knew the second I heard it she’d never be able to follow up “Torn” in the US. Same way I feel whenever I hear “My Immortal” on the radio. I just wince because of the jump in style it requires. I’ve never been disappointed when I buy an album after hearing only one song (including buying Tori Amos after hearing “Silent All These Years” in the car and changing direction to drive straight to the CD store), but I understand the perception that bands come up with one good song and then use filler on the rest of the album.

Er, wee, tangent. I think Linkin Park can best be compared to Matchbox Twenty, whom I also quite adore. :smiley: You haven’t faced music snobbery until you tell someone you’re a fan of Matchbox Twenty.