I'm sorry, you said what?

Frankly, thinks, I am beginning to lean towards a combination of tinnitus, Freudian slip, and audible terrets (sp?) syndrome. What do you think?

My husband’s grandfather was rather hard of hearing so instead of having him turn up the tv so loud that everyone else goes deaf too, one of his sons set up a small speaker just by his chair with its own volume control. His hearing aid alone did not help him, but having that speaker right near him did. I wonder why more ppl don’t do that. I know whole families that seem to be going deaf because one member insists on having the tv up so loud.

My hearing is fine, but then if i am subject to painful noise, i leave, or get ppl to turn it down, or wear ear plugs. A lot of people just seem to think i should suck it up and endure the loud, painful noises. Reading this thread, i am glad I don’t.

We all know that. Try telling him that. My grandpa loves to shell out money for vacations and new cars, but has owned the same POS tv for 20+ years. He did, however, recently break down and buy one of those TTY machines for his phone.

That’s why it is so hilarious. They will stand six inches apart and scream at each other at top volume. The neighbors think they are nuts. My grandpa has had chronic problems with ear infections from his hearing aids, so he won’t wear it unless he is going out somewhere. My grandmother is in denial and refuses to believe that she is losing her hearing, so she just yells at everybody all the time.

I don’t have a hearing problem, but as my mom says, I have a listening problem. I always get distracted while in a conversation or watching TV. Just yesterday I was walking out the and on of my roomates had a girl over who said something. About 2 seconds later My brain processed it as “Are you gaining weight?” which seemed a little rude, if not refreshingly honest from someone I had never met before. I guess the look on my face suggested my confusion, because she said “I said, are you running away?” Not to mention the clearly more interesting dialogue I hear. Example from a movie I was watching, "here is our new pastor, make him feel tall. That raised so much more intrest than when my friend told me it was "Here is our new Pastor, make him feel at home.

I’m very slightly hard of hearing, which particularly manifests itself in environments like coffee shops where there’s lots of background noise. I have to point my ear right at the person’s mouth. It’s part of the reason I’m learning sign language right now. (No joke. “Be prepared” and all that.)

Now a whole list of people not to phone. I can’t hear worth a darn either. Like struuter, I often hear perverted or nonsensical things. I went to the doctor about it years ago and he said that it was an auditory learning disability.

It does make for some interesting conversation around the house though…

I’m only 14, and I’ve got some hearing problems. I am an active musician, and spend lots of time listening to loud brass instruments, and high wind instruments (me, I play a nice, calm, string instrument). These loud and high sounds are right in my ear, so over the past year or so I’ve realized I’m saying “What?” a whole lot more - sometimes someone will have to repeat something two or three times before I figure out what they’re saying. This little sacrifice comes well, though - I have a great ear for music.