I'm the best man! the wedding's on Saturday...HELP! what do I need to know?

I’ve seemed to have lost my “ing” has anyone seen my “ing.”

Don’t screw the bride.

Watch out for those UK speeches. Best man tradition is different there than here. Much longer speeches in particular. I’ve found US usually tends toward short toasts.

Also, I had the additional duty of paying out cash at the reception. Various tips and such, so the groom didn’t have to deal with it.

Also the Best Man is responsible for:

Returning Groom’s tuxedo if rented.
Handling payment to officiant, money from Groom not your own pocket.
Assisting Groom get dressed in tuxedo properly.
General problem solver/gopher - it is the Groom’s day and the more you take on so he is free to enjoy himself the better the Best Man you have been.

But if you do, or already have, don’t mention it in the toast.

1. I remember … <insert amusing, but not terribly embarrassing or off-color anecdote of the two of you as kids>

2. And that is why

[oops…]

1. And that is why it’s so hard for me to believe he’s now all grown up and married <audience chuckles>.

2. There was also this time… <insert heartwarming anecdote of your brother being very kind or helpful to you or your family>

3. And that is why I’ll miss my little brother <audience awwws>

4. And so, in conclusion, <address your brother and sister-in-law>, I wish you… <blah, blah, all the joys, blah, many happy days, blah, blah, to you and all your future children, blah blah>.

5. <addressing the audience again> To the life-long happy marriage of X and Y! <drink>

IOW, two anecdotes (one amusing, one heartwarming) and best wishes.
Peace.

To all those who said it should be long… please, I beg you, never, never, never speak in public yourselves.

Good advice, all. One more VERY IMPORTANT thing that no one has mentioned yet:

About five minutes before you walk into the service, MAKE HIM GO TO THE JOHN. If he says he doesn’t have to, tell him to go anyway.

He’ll thank you later.

Make sure he(groom) does not lock his knees during the wedding.
The bride and groom will want to be most gracious during their recption, so if someone is tying up to much of their time the bestman should intercede.

DON’T LOSE THE RING!!!